View Single Post
Old 05-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
One Country Boy

Doc,

Can you run several tests on you connection speed and tell me what your average download and upload speeds are? I know that is asking a lot but I'd appreciate it. Also Doc, is your Verizon service at 4G or 3G speed? The are that I live in has 3G ONLY at present. I like my internet, I use it an awful lot for e-mail and checking into a few forums such as ORR. I could handle it a little slower then my DSL speeds.

Oh !!! Also, what are your average monthly costs with Verizon for the 2 phones and MiFi, if I may be so bold as to ask ? Is the amount of date restricted ? Do you have limited time that you share on the phone with your second phone ? I guess I should be asking Verizon most of these questions. I currently spend $100 a month for landline phone service that includes DSL and no long distance fees. My Verizon monthly bill is about $150.00. My wife and I share 500 talk minutes a month and that includes texting and unlimited data. It's truely unlimited, because I'm on an old plan. I never have a problem on my Droid nor my XYL with her BlackBerry and internet connections.

Thanks Doc and I may try their 30 day trial for the heck of it.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Jim, When I went to Mi Fi, I was on very fast cable internet service. Verizon has a 30 day trial program that I took advantage of and decided that in most of the places I travel, I could easily live with the Mi Fi. I couldn't take my cable internet on the road with me, so it was a pretty easy decision for me. We also got rid of our land lines and use just cell. Have not missed them at all. We travel 6 - 8 months out of the year and the convenience of using a service like Mi Fi is great. If you're at a fixed location where you can get DSL, cable or other home based services, Mi Fi may not be the best solution for you. (notice I didn't mention Hughes Net, Wild Blue or the other satellite services as Mi Fi puts them in the dirt)
Doc