View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #17
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Ok, what are your options:
1: Park Wi-Fi,, you already use it so you know all about it.

2: Hughes Net et-al (2-way Sat Internet) Bandwith limits on most of them, long lag times (1/2 second ping) Slow DSL speeds, however fairly reliable. Also expensive.

3: Cellular 3G (Slow) or 4G (Fast if you can find it) Expensive, however there are some plans that let you tether a Cell phone for less. Coverage is not 100%, Many companies, I believe Virgin Mobil, T-Mobil and AT&T all have a "Buy when you need it" plan, again bandwidth may be limited.

NOTE: on Sat: There is a service "Via-Sat" they bought out Wild Blue it seems.. (I know their hardware carries the W-B label) Now, Wild Blue was all spot beams, (not suitable for RV use) but one subscriber says they are planning on a portable service.. I do not know how true this is, or how far in teh future, or if it will ever come to pass. But the one Via-Sat user I know of braggs big time about the quality of their service.

For more, check out www.twit.tv/hn One of the hosts (Bob Hiel) started using Via-Sat about 20 episodes ago, NOTE, he's been "Spotty" the last few episodes (Meaning he's on the road, not at his studio, and thus unable to participate) He was not there last week or about 3 weeks ago, but you can check out episode 61 for the quality of his uploads.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote