Thread: New TT
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Ah, the best choice,,,, Might be "In the bedroom".

Years ago I went to the printer's to get some QSL cards made (remember those) (Today I use Avery Post cards and my photo printer).

Well. I was browsing his samples and came across a card (A proof card from an actual run) and noticed the name, Virgina Adama.. now I knew here, she was the wife of John Quincy Adams SR. (NO, I'm not THAT old, he was clearly named after the former President).

For 40 years Quince had had receivers along one wall of the bedroom, transmitters along an adjoining wall and the T/R switches... in the corner.. his major exercise was running from transmitter to receiver switching on the way.

And for 40 years Virginia had complained about it.

Finally Quince built a 2.5 car Garage and moved all his ham gear to a much neater (less exercise) station in the 0.5.. Put up a tower, underground conduit for the coax. the whole professinal style install....

Then he and Virgina went to an "Event" where Virginia won a door prize.

And she came home and got her license. So once again the bedroom had at least one wall of ham gear.. HERS (She'd get on the radio to call her husband to dinner).

Now the kicker... Virginal is hearing impaired, she can only hear a very narrow range of frequencies... Higher or lower she has trouble hearing.. She can pick a CW signal out of the mess better than anyone else in town. She made many contacts with stations where Quince, looking over her shoulder, could not even hear the station she was in QSO with over the noise.

So perhaps the bedroom is the best place for the radios.

Now.. In my case, this motor home is a bath and a half model.. Thus, when I'm sitting there in the "Radio Room" and the net control operator says "Go ahead _____ and stand by John and I get that sudden urge to be in a specific spot in the motor home.. Well.. that's where I'm already sitting so I don't miss my turn.

And if the signal stinks.. Just flush. (You can have a lot of fun with a station in the half bath).
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote