View Single Post
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #27
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

NN5I I have to agree that for many towing too much "Trailer" (be it a real trailer or a car towed on either a dolly (most dangerous) or 4 down) can be dangerous.

Yet Semi drivers regularly tow over 20,000 pounds with less than 20,000 pounds of tractor (Way less) and though yes, Jackknifes happen, there are many drivers who have managed to steer around an incident and miss it completly or keep control of their Rigs under very trying conditions... Now.. I do know how they do it academically (not the same as being able to do it myself) but they have the ability to use only part of the brakes.. Trailer brakes can be disabled or engaged without the use of tractor brakes, And some of the tractor's brakes can be disabled as well, by means of controls in the cab.. ONLY one RV braking system gives you anything approaching this level of control (US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator).. I have not been trained in the proper use of these systems so I can not tell anyone how to do it, but I know people who have used them and managed to keep control of a Semi. Not sure I could do it.

I know all the theory. it is the practice I'm not sure of. And yes, it increases your stopping distance when you use only partial brakes so you need to make sure you follow well behind the folks in front of you.

Another factor in most crashes..... I used to stand on a bridge on occasion and watch the traffic pass below (Pedisterian bridge) and later do the same thing via remote camera (My preferred way to do it, safer) from my office.

I was taught to time from when the car in front of me say goes under a bridge to when I go under, 2 seconds is .. the absolute minimum, 3-4 is better for Motor Homes Im told.

1 is about average for motorists in and around Detroit, some less than that.

It takes 3/4 second for the average person to react or so say my teachers.

If you are 1/2 second behind the car in front of you.... CRASH!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote