View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

If you have a motor home make sure the fuel tank is full of stabilized fuel, This should last you at least 2-4 days on Generator full time, a week if you part time the genny. Make sure the Propane tank is also full and you have an Extend-a-stay type device and a portable tank full as well.

On my house, when I had one, I installed a generator transfer panel and put selected loads on the E-power board. (Emergency) These loads included the kitchen (Fridge, Freezer, Microwave) Computers, Televisions and the furnace. Air conditioning (Which was 240 volt) I can live without and we cooked, and heated water with Gas, And selected lights. I LEFT one KEY light, which we rarley used, on the main panel (more on that later) An INLET on the back of the house and a custom OUTLET in the motor home and a custom made extension cord let me power the house from teh MH when, not if, Detroit Edison failed.

The light.. The house had a hall, about six feet long, the light was in the hall, since spill over light from the rooms off the hall provided all the light we needed there we almost never turned it on.

But in a power fail I would turn it on

Then when the light, lit... I'd switch back to mains.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote