View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
I'm feeling smug today. When I bought my motor home (which has two air conditioners in the roof) in August 2011, the rear air conditioner turned out not to work. It would try to start, but (from the sounds) the compressor wasn't starting. The airmovers (fans) ran fine.

I was fairly sure I'd have to buy and install at least a whole replacement top unit, although the bottom unit (ceiling unit) seemed OK. But I conjectured that it might be the compressor start capacitor. So I ordered a new start capacitor, $20.40 with free shipping. If that didn't fix it, the loss would be small.

Today I installed the new capacitor. It took about an hour. The A/C works like new!

I'm feeling insufferably smug this evening.
I'm glad it worked for you. I had a problem like you describe only with a Craftsman 8 inch table saw. I too thought a start capacitor would solve it, and it was even cheaper, less than 10 bucks.
In my case it didn't help, so I decided to look for a working motor. I figured it would cost up to $50.00 for a working used motor. I found one and it cost me $50.00 and it also happened to have a 10 inch table saw with everything attached to it, also a Craftsman. So I guess it worked well for me too.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote