View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #255
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Sorry I haven't checked in in a while. I spent every spare minute for about a month and a half studying for the Amateur Extra Class Test and I passed with a score of 88% on April 2nd! I have been studying Morse Code. I found an application on my Droid phone that turns it into a portable Morse Code tutor and within 2 weeks I have learned characters A-Z and 0-9. I still have not learned any of the special characters yet. My goal is to be able to compete in the ARRL CW Rookie Roundup by December. I would also like to be able to pass the code proficiency test. I've also been fundraising for Walk MS with the Panhandle Amateur Radio Club's Team PARC. My wife Terra, KE5ZRU, and I are the communications coordinators for the MS 150 Bike Tour in our area which is coming up in July, and we are starting preparations for that. I have scheduled a lengthy vacation beginning in May and ending in June. For 6 weeks, I will be working 2 days each week and taking off 5 days a week. I usually work 0400-1230. With storm season coming up, I don't want to worry about how late we are out spotting weather for SKYWARN weather nets. Last year, Terra and I caught 12 tornadoes, and we hope to not miss any opportunities this year. We are still enjoying the full time RV life. I am in the process of building a 4 band hamstick dipole antenna, which will be great for RV use, as well as EmComm use. I will put together a post with full details of the antenna build when it is complete.

73 y'all!
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote