Thread: 12 volt TV
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ham View Post
Terrestrial - means that it is broadcast through the air.
No, it doesn't, even in technical jargon. In general usage it means of, or related to, Earth, and in the technical jargon of broadcasting it means broadcast from the surface of the Earth as opposed to being broadcast from a satellite, a spacecraft, an airplane, or even a ship at sea.

In the jargon of astronomy it means Earthlike. Mars and Venus are sometimes called terrestrial planets.

But even if it did mean what you say it means, it still wouldn't substitute for North American, which clearly is what you originally meant. Why so defensive? Everyone uses the wrong word now and then, and most don't get their hackles up when clarification is asked.

Let's start over. Speak kindly of your fellow hams instead of badmouthing every ham you've ever met; say something pleasant now and then; be less defensive when someone suggests you may be mistaken about something; and -- by the way -- could you tell us your name and callsign? Among hams that particular courtesy is as nearly universal as a smile; more universal, really, for in some cultures it is not customary to smile when meeting strangers. In Japan one maintains grave and respectful dignity, and a neutral expression. But one gives one's name everywhere, and among hams your callsign is part of your name. Refusing it, like refusing your name, suggests aloofness and hostility.