View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
electricflyer

From what I can glean from Google, the last Tech Plus license was (is) N7IJS, James D. Bell. He still shows up on QRZ and Hamcall database's but is not in the FCC database. The license expired February 11, 2010 and with the 2 year grace should have been removed February 10, 2012. All Tech Plus licenses that were renewed reverted to Tech according to Part 97.21a3. The discussion on another forum said the renewal of the last Tech Plus license has been "Pending" since the expiration.

Novice licenses are still valid. A fellow VE had a father that held a Novice license. He was about 92 years old and sharp as a tack. We offered to come to his home and give him the Technician license test since his son could not do it. Alas, he passed away and we were disappointed that we didn't get the opportunity to give him an upgrade. I have my own database of hams in my county and surrounding counties. I find that people that hold a Novice license never fail to renew (unless they die). Many Techs on the other hand apparently lose interest and let it go.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote