View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 12:49 AM   #48
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Default Home

We ran for it - we got caught in the traffic north of Whistler, BC - The Pemberton Music Festival attraced 40,000 hairbags [no offence] who left a mountain of garbage and clogged the two lane roads in and out of town for a full day.

We ended up with our last camp, about 40 KM outside of Vancouver, BC - Alice Lake was the name of the place and we had power but had to share a double campsite - we were lucky to get one frankly. They had a nice swimming lake and it was full of kids.

It's finally getting dark at night, something to get used to - been going to bed at 10 pm or so.

Add to that insult was construction traffic between Whistler and Vancouver, which they have to finish in time for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games, means that they are enlarging 93 or so KM of two lane to four lane. Kiewt and Sons is making a billion bucks or something on this job, but it's a total mess to have to drive.

The last border crossing was a long wait in line but otherwise uneventful - but they sure pulled a lot of Canadians aside. Our agent was businesslike but not very friendly - I suppose if I had to process 60 cars an hour, I might be cranky too.

We went to ground about 20 miles north of Portland, got a Motel room and had a restaurant meal - some of the best Pie at the Big Oak restaurant down the street from the Best Western.

Today we hammered out 600 miles in about 12 hours. Ugh. Lots and lots of traffic on I-5, but did have a nice Q with a trucker and another with a guy cruising up north of Paradise in his truck.

Glad to be home. Unhooked the rig, and just left it except for the cooler, it can wait for tomorrow.

I'm ready to sleep in my big bed - the house seems so ROOMY though!

Selah!
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote