View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Post Firestone Air Bags

I had the Firestone air bags installed on the Ford F250 a couple of weeks ago. I did not opt for the type with the onboard compressor. Rather the type that you manually air and decompress while vehicle is not in operation. I plan to haul a small compressor in the 5'er anyway so it will be no problem.

The truck did not need the bags because of being overloaded. It leveled out good when the 5th wheel was loaded. I did the install in hopes of improving the ride and performance, when loaded. I have not had a chance to tow the 5'er since the install but, can already tell an improvement in the ride, even unloaded. It rides much smoother, no bounce in the rear.

On my old truck, when towing over a road or bridge with expansion joints, there would be a lot of bounce in the rear and it was almost like the pin was slipping back and forth in the slot. When I installed those bags it removed all that for a very smooth ride. I hope these will do the same. Also, on the old rig, when I took my foot off the excelerator, the vehicle would quickly slow and feel as though it was weighted in the rear. Installation of the air bags relieved that and caused the unit to coast smoothly when decelerating. I'm hoping these new bags will accomplish the same. Will let you know after my first tow.