View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
N7OQ

Default My old 14AVQ died

Well After a our big storm and few smaller ones I noticed that my SWR was bad on all bands. Well today I took it down and cleaned all the connections, fixed and broken trap cover and put the analyzer on it and it is still bad and when I move the antenna like a small wind the swr jumps real bad. It look like I have 1 or 2 bad traps so decided to retire it. I bought it back on 1978 and it had gone from South Carolina to California, Washington, Germany, Wyoming, back to California and has done me great service. I don't know what is inside those traps but sense I plan on getting rid of it I will take one apart, they are screwed and pressed together.

Now I have to find something else to use might have to put up a long wire until I can get something else up. I'm not suppose to have any antennas here, CC&R's but there is no committee to enforce them and none have been enforced in the last 13 years. With that I will still keep things a low key anyway. I was thinking about a Hexbeam on a pushup pole mounted to the back of the house. All the antennas I have built I painted flat black and they are hard to see unless you are looking for them. Has anyone here used one?
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote