Thread: 12 volt TV
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

First: most of the self contained battery ones DO have an external power (and in some cases charger) port.. I once ran a 12 volt car radio on D-Cells for a long, long time.

Second... I have a Samsung 21" Wide Screen that takes not 12, but 14 volts from its brick.. Not sure this woudl be good for you but here in the wheeld house (motor home) it is more likely to see 14 volts from ye old battery system.. That said I run it on 120vac)

Finally, If the battery storage location is both easily accessable and can be easily vented to the outdoors (And I can come up with several ways to do that). DEEP CYCLE (Such as GC-2 Golf car batteries in series or G-12s (12 volt golf car) are way better than Marine/Deep cycle.

But they are harder to find in non (or limited) Venting Maintenance Free designs.

The Reason: Marine/Deep cycle are first MARIN (Starting) Batteries, with lip service paid to deep cycle 50 percent is harmful on these batteries

DEEP CYCLE are designed to go to 50 percent,, And if you go lower than that, stand a decent chance of recovery if promptly recharged, Marine types... Not so good at recovery.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote