View Single Post
Old 05-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default The old Stained Glass Window in the RV Door Trick

I am fighting a war on two fronts:

1. Keeping the Georgia summer heat OUT of the RV
2. Making the RV a desirable place to sleep late or go to bed early by reduction of uncontrolled light getting in.

Among other things I replaced the cracked shower skylight bubble with the smoke tinted style rather than the clear. And that seems to help.

Then I turned my attention to the entry door window, which you can't see out of and serves only to let in light and heat. If tint works on the skylight it should work here, too.

I originally planned to use automotive type window tint film, but found it expensive and boring, with various uninteresting shades of black, grey and brown it would indeed keep heat and light out. And make the trailer seem like a portable dungeon.

So I looked at Home Depot and found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-...0113/100014505

Cost $21 and will cover more than one RV door window (at least 2, maybe 3) and comes in several interesting patterns.

Install is a typical wet the film and glass with soapy water type install.

However, the inside part of the door glass has a textured finish to it and the film will not work well if at all on the textured glass. The outside is smooth. Therefore the glass must be turned around.

You'll need some sealant to seal up the window again and a razor blade to scrape all the old seal off the glass and frame. I recommend against the use of an electric screwdriver as the plastic frame seemed easy to strip out. Also recommend a helper since the 2 frame halves AND THE GLASS will fall right out once the last screw is removed. Extra hands will help especially during reassembly. Apply the window film per manufactures instructions while you have the glass out of the frame for the best looking results.

Sweet Wife likes the results. I like the reduction in heat and light. And everybody likes a happy camper.

On edit, the colors match the interior way better than shown in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0059.jpg (32.8 KB, 43 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote