View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
N7OQ

That Jwire.com is a handy web page, thanks for the link.

In California they are putting WiFi in a lot of the State Parks but you have to buy it or have a account with AT&T. I feel there is no place for a privite company to be doing business on Public land. If they want to provide it for free as a advertisement then fine but when they are making a profit on Public land using public utilities I think that is wrong.

I really would like to see how well the Cell phone cards work, would be nice if you could just rent them one for a week or 2. We have rented a house in Tahoe for the week between Christmas and just after New Years and the Wife put the money down before she asked if it had internet access, (what was she thinking?) Well it doesn't. It would be nice to be able to rent the card for that time period, guess I will have to use Jwire and find a local hot spot and drive there everyday to get my email.

I did camp next to a couple who had a satellite connection to the Internet that was connected to a wireless hub and they let us connect. It was very fast and all you need is a view to the south sky. The antenna was about the size of a Direct TV antenna with a much bigger feed horn. I think they said it was about $50 a month.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote