View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #27
W6DCS

I thought nets were for the community, but some folks think net means my own personal chit chat line. I have never met a ham who disrupted a net "just because", but I am sure there are a few out there. Folks running a net need to realize that if it is a scheduled non emergency net one minds moving. What I hate are those who jump on and tell you "My net is starting in 10 minutes, so be done and be gone when it starts". I have had this happen a few times, but so few I can't count them on one hand. It is much nicer when they let you know in a friendly way.
I stay off a few 2 meter repeaters as there are some who think they own them.
I remember a few years ago I was traveling and needed the Highway Patrol for an accident that had just happened. I looked in the repeater book and could only find closed repeater that I could hit. I was able to get into it, and at first was told in a rude manner it was a closed system and I wasn't on the authorized list. When I explained what I needed the other ham made the phone calls on the landline. I even received an apology from him for being rude, but he said many times folks think they own it and are not members or supporters. I thanked him for the assistance and the repeater usage.
I belong to a closed system that spans a huge area, but have yet to see anyone on the system tell anyone to get off of it. We don't mind visitors, and as long as your friendly we don't bite.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote