Thread: Up She Goes....
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Off Pavement
ACØUS

Default Up She Goes....

I wrapped up the initial install of my Antenna EZ lifter and Tarheel HP100 screwdriver antenna.

One of my requirements was that my antenna had to fit in the 12' garage door without being disassembled, it just fits. All DC power is provided by direct connection to the coach battery bank. All exposed wire runs are in split-loom. I've RF bonded much of the rig to the frame such as the trailer hitch, rear bumper and it's decorative aluminum skin, coach roof framework, wall, and flooring. I bonded the coach seat belt framework as well, but have not got into the cab, hood, door, or generator yet.

I had to shorten the EZ Lifter's ladder mounting brackets to fit the limited space I have between the ladder and a storage access door. I also picked up a different antenna mount that the one supplied by Tarheel as I was so space limited.

I decided my primary operating location will be at the RVs inside table, so I ran the control leads, radio power (FT 897D), and coax accordingly.

I initially ran into an unexpected RFI issue in the coach as I tuned up on 20 meters, the air conditioner sounded like it was trying to start. I was plugged into shore power and by tripping the AC 110v circuit breaker, it solved that problem. The problem is not there when off the grid. I'll be picking up some beads to see if that will cure my only known RFI problem so far.

As far as performance, it's a quiet antenna when on or off shore power, and seems to radiate pretty well... I hit Florida 1st and Poland 2nd. Antenna loads on 80 thru 10 meters, but I have not tried a QSO on 80 yet. I have had excellent success on 40, 30, 20, and 15. 10 hasn't been open when I've been on yet.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
Sunseeker 2300 - Gozer II
Jeep Wrangler - Blackie

Off Pavement is offline   Reply With Quote