View Single Post
Old 02-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
One Country Boy

The pedestal box just happened to be convenient at the time. I imagine the SWR was high. The radio (Icom V8000) transmits 75 watts max. I never ran over about 20 watts with it. I know it has a roll back circuit in it to drop the power when the SWR is high but I'm just not comfortable running a rig on hi power when I have not checked the SWR.

I saw a photo somewhere, may have been an ORR Member, where a plate was mounted to the top of a satellite dish. The dish on top a tripod and a magmount on the plate. I don't always have to put out my tripod and dish, so your ladder mount really has my attention Radio. I like the idea of talking to the local hams when we are out camping. Also a good source of information on things to see and good places to eat. ... I will get something worked out on a good mount before we head back up to the mountains for three months this summer. I'd like to meet some of the guys up there and maybe attend a club meeting.

I'm going to change out the Icom 2 meter rig and put my Kenwood TM-251 in the camper. It runs 50 watts on 2 meters. It has a UHF receiver in it, although it does not transmit on UHF. With the UHF I can listen to the public service bands to see what the sirens are all about. The 251 has one of the hottest VHF recievers I've ever had. I used to run it on packet. Data is one of the things it is designed for.

Thank you for the comments, Radio, Andy and Jagco.