View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Towing a large vehicle behind a class A diesel pusher is no big problem for the coach.
True, you might never even know it's back there -- until you have to do the following two things simultaneously: (1) steer evasively, and (2) brake to slow down. The behavior suddeny changes. I have seen the result, twice. As a result, although my motor home is a class A diesel pusher, I ain't towing any large vehicles any time soon. My little Ranger pickup is about the limit.

In one case, a big Tiffin towing a big box trailer (perhaps with a car inside) jackknifed, slid across a narrow median, overturned, and was hit by a Suburban. That was about two years ago, on US 377 just north of Cresson, TX. I saw it (the result, not the crash) while a passenger in a small class B. It was impressive. I don't know what he was avoiding, perhaps something as small as a dog.

The other was a big Foretravel that was towing a Suburban, jackknifed, overturned, and slid off on its side onto the shoulder. I don't know what he was avoiding either.

WI5G, my old friend Bud Johnson, who lives in Cresson, was for a long time the service manager in a Foretravel dealership (in Garland, TX). I was visiting him there at the shop when I saw that second result. It was a very expensive repair job. He told me it's not uncommon, or not nearly uncommon enough anyway, because (as you -- sort of -- mention) many people pay no attention to the towing limitations of motor homes.

Moral: read the manual, and obey.