View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
W5DOK
Old Member

My point is that you have to know the limitations of yourself and your vehicle. You see far more 18 wheeler type commercial trucks overturned on the highways than RV's and those are professional operators. It's rare to see a wreck involving an RV. You mentioned Foretravel. I was at their facility in Nacadoches (wasn't aware of one elsewhere) and they had a wrecked coach in their shop,(Not a Foretravel) that was a victim of the infamous Goodyear GY670"s. The service manager said that far more RV's wreck due to blow outs than any other reason. They just react differently in that situation and the drivers may not have the expertise to handle a catastrophic tire failure. After all, in some states nothing is required to operate a 50K pound + motor home except a class c license with no medical exam. Some states, (Texas included) at least require the operator to pass a driving test to demonstrate their proficiency to operate the vehicle. If your vehicle towing capacity is 20K, then don't go over 20k. Also it doesn't do any good to have a vehicle rated at 50k if your tires capacity is only 40k. My gross is 47k with a towing capacity of 20k. I usually scale at about 58k.
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote