View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Richard Stouffer

A long time ago I was involved with a flying club that was sponsored by my employer. It was a great set-up because you could save a lot of money getting a private pilot’s license through the club. When it was decided to increase membership a survey was commissioned to determine why folks who had expressed initial interest hadn’t followed through. We thought cost would be the main issue. Instead we discovered that when someone made an inquiry of a member or a flight instructor, they were often told how difficult it was to learn to fly and that flying wasn’t for the average person.
The guys providing the answers weren’t trying to discourage the prospects. Instead they were proud to have a license and were just embellishing their own accomplishments. Once we understood that we provided our members the kind of information that the prospect should receive and let those members know how important it was to the club and to them to encourage an interest in flying and to increase membership.
Maybe there is some of that in any sophisticated pursuit, be it a hobby or a profession. I don’t think ham radio is any different. But the downside is that if we discourage new blood we end up suffering the consequence of waning interests. If radio sales decline, investments in new product development and production declines and if that happens we all end up paying more for less desirable equipment and have fewer people to QSO with.
Dumb questions are an opportunity for those in the know to prime the pump for new and enthusiastic participants. Any questions?
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote