View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
_L7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE5NWT View Post
For good cell coverage....call 911 using the cell phone
For no cell coverage... use a radio to............

BEST METHOD: Relay to another ham that is at a land line telephone or through a repeater that has a phone patch.
i.e. "This is KE5NWT mobile, needing an emergency relay...any station having telephone access please reply now"

OTHER METHOD: Ares/Races members can use MARS/CAP modified radios (outside the amateur frequencies) to make radio contact with law/fire dispatchers. Remember in "emergencies" any radio / any frequency / anybody.

Contacting a fire or police dispatch by radio is a last resort method and best practiced with pre-approval of the agency, thus Ares / Races. Otherwise you have some explaining to do after the fact to the agency and maybe the FCC.

Most agencies frown on that unless it is regarding the imminent threat of life ( notice life but not property). I believe the FCC rule regarding that is when all other means of communciation have been exhausted and there is imminent danger of life threatening emergencies or significant loss of property. (But don't quote me on that).

Yes, you will be explaining and possibly defending (read: legal action - prosecution) your actions to the local agency and or the FCC.

KE5NWT's explanation of options other than using public safety frequencies is the best method.
For everything else - WORK

Home - Yaesu FT847 / ID-800 / 80M Inv. V
Zero Five 43' HF vertical
Tower and Beams - Some Day
Local - 2m, 440, and 1.2 Rpts
Echolink - N6LZR-R (Linked to 1.2 Rpt )
IRLP - Coming soon
DStar Rpts - Coming soon
QSL via EQSL.cc

We need a fishing smiley, a beer drinking smiley, and an HT Smiley
_L7 is offline   Reply With Quote