View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #71
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Good morning guys,

Went to bed last night with the windows partially open and woke up to 37 degrees this morning. What a drastic change. The wind woke me up during the night, I need to check the annomometer to see what our highest gusts were. They were pretty stiff. Not much rain here but a lot of wind. The temps are suppose to be in the 40's to low 50's all day and back down to high 20's tonight.

I left the HF rig on 3865 KHz most of the day yesterday, listening for Mike. I went in before bedtime to shut things down. I heard a young female voice on. This young lady had checked into the Marconi Net. I think she said she was 14 years old and had received her general class ticket back in December. This yl was located in Alabama, her call KI4YDT. The net control explained to her how nice it was to hear a young voice on the ham bands and really rolled out the red carpet for her, and rightfully so. He went on to explain that the average age of a new ham now days is somewhere in the mid 50's. I think he said 58. I was surprised by that. Once I began to think about it, I see a lot of guys just getting their ham tickets on forums that are in their 50's and 60's. I just never thought about it. Things have changed in ham radio. Back in the 60's and 70's I think the age was probably much younger. Anyway, thought I would mention that. It was refreshing to hear this young lady on-the-air and you could tell she was nervous. I didn't hang around but wish I had to hear the others comments to her.

Have a great day all !! 73,

Jim ~ W4EWA
Wewahitchka, FL

Not complaining are you? We have had highs in the single digits or teens for the last few days and very cold at night. Can't wait for Spring.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote