View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #86
One Country Boy

The little Wx Radio has finally quieted after a busy afternoon of alarming here in southern Alabama. More tornados, hail, rain and straight line winds of 70 mph. No serious wind here, thank God.

We may have to start a thread on how to eleiminate noise in my HF receiver. It is strong. A 20db over S9 on 75 meters in some locations. Higher bands are better but still there. I strongly suspect some of it is coming from the RV's PS/converter/battery maintainer. I've done some elimination but not tackled the PS yet.

The antenna set up is below.
rvantennas.jpg

Wade uploaded a photo of a wooden bracket he mounted to his rear ladder awhile back. I mounted a piece of light weight angle iron with predrilled holes in it. It's mounted with nylon wire ties (wire ties and duct tape are the solution to all problems) on each side. I was in a hurry so did not use the u-bolts. Mounted to the angle iron is a Diamond dual band mobile antenna, using a trunk lip mount. Atop the ladder is my Hustler 52 inch stainless steel shaft with 75, 40 and 20 meter resonators.

Radios are a Kenwood TS450SAT and Kenwood TM251.

CQ CQ CQ de W4EWA