View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Well... I got my extra in the days of 5 WPM code (though I can do a bit better than that) and have found code to be useful.. I will point out that where as you had to learn code.

I had to learn rocket science (Yes, there are rocket science questions on the test now days)

There are, today, basically two schools of licensing.. The ARRL based schools (Which I hope includes most ham radio clubs) and the Gordon West manual.. I have both

When I went to get my license the first manual I got was a Gordon West. This manual simply gives you the questions and the answers.. Good review book, but I found it useless.

The ARRL manual gives you the theory first, THEN asks the questions and then gives you the answers... I found it very useful, and a couple of concepts I had issues with Tom Miller (K8PNW) who was teaching the class... Well...

The E-mail I sent to the ARRL read something like this

When I used the Gordon West book I very quickly hit the wall.
When I used the ARRL book the wall was quickly flattened

And Tom, my "Tutor" ground up the remains of that wall mixed in a bit of gypsum and poured it back out as nice smooth pavement.

Oh yes, I can fix a radio, I have built radios from kits, designed modules, make my own antennas, and such.. I've spent considerable time up on the roof with a tool kit.

Though today I use a radio that came out of a box (Kenwood TS-2000, TM-733, Yesau F-51R) when things go strange (As the FT-51R did a couple of weeks ago) I can, and did, track down the problem and fix it (Turned out to be a bad power connection)

So, not everyone uses the "Memorize the answers" course. Some folks use the good one
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote