View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
W5DOK
Old Member

Jim, My rig is an IC736. Old, but reliable. I use about 50 ft of coax and it lays on the ground under the mh and enters thru a vent in front. My radio sits on the workdesk area in front of the co pilots seat. I like it simple and easy. I do have a balun at the antenna, but everything else is plug and play. Never had a rfi problem or any rf related issues inside the coach. I was recently in an rv park in Colorado with 2 other hams and my rig out performed theirs in every way. They were using an assortment of antennas that took hours to install and I was using a Tarheel that took 5 minutes to install. I checked with my neighbors and they experienced no interference from my rig, so I'm assuming everything was working correctly. There was a cb operator in there for awhile that managed to PO several folks with tvi, but he was asked to leave quickly. At my home QTH, I have several hundred acres to run whatever antennas I choose, but on the road I don't expect anything other than portable performance and I'm always surprised at the results I get.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote