Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #1
Frankmj452

Default New to RV but not to ham radio

Hi, new to rv camping. Been a ham since 1989 and hold a General license. My call is KB0EOR. Interested in voice and digital modes.Equipment is Icom-718, ldg tuner, CT-17, Signallink USB+1 into a desktop pc or laptop.
Frankmj452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #2
electricflyer

Welcome to the ORR forum. A very casual group of guys. I see you live in Council Bluffs. I grew up in SW Iowa and lived in CB for about 30 years before moving to Dayton,Ohio (18 years) and now in NW Atlanta (21 years), about 25 miles from downtown. I graduated from ALHS (the old one) 62 years ago. Perhaps you know my BIL, Greg (W0LGQ), he has his fathers old call sign. He lives east of Crescent on Badger Avenue on one of the highest hills around. From his living room he can see about 40 miles to the west and from the top of one of his towers (2 of them) you could probably see that far to the east. If you are out driving around out there you can't miss his house. He has a concrete drive way about 1/4 mile long. He has quite an antenna farm. He and his wife both retired from IWCC so stop by and tell him you met KT4W (it's Iowa, you can do that). What do you have for an RV? A MH or TT?
Marv
KT4W
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Frankmj452

Just bought a 2017 Heartland Pioneer BH250. If I get a chance I might look up your BIL. I have been living in CAB 17 years prior to that I lived in Bellevue since 1975 until 2001 but 1 Year of that I lived in England when the Air Force sent me there.
I traded in our 2014 Forest River pup up camper for the Pioneer. Last year we had a total of 7 family members trying to stay dry in a pup up. My wife decided that we needed a bigger camper.

So 73 de KB0EOR
Frank
Frankmj452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
electricflyer

I also noticed you live just up the street from where DW and I got married 57 years ago. Too bad you don't still have a Forest River product, we like to go the to the FROG (Forest River Owners Group) Rallys, have one in Helen, GA in June, then Kerrville, TX in October and then to Gadsden, Al the week after.
I have 2 sons that were avionics techs in the AF, oldest on was active duty for 12 years and finished up retiring from the Ohio Air Guard, the youngest one was active for 5 1/2 years, and retired after 30 years in the AF Reserves from Dobbins AFB with a couple 1 year terms on active duty, he extended 3 years so he could go to Lakenheath for 3 years. Both are hams, oldest one is Advanced class and the youngest is only a tech, he could probably get Amateur Extra if you would take a little time to brush up but right now they are working his butt off with 70 hr weeks revamping the WIFI network at the worlds busiest airport, Hartsfield. Both worked cellular and data communications for 30 years. I am a VE locally and do testing for 3 different VEC groups, I assist with license classes and am a volunteer ARES radio operator for a hospital about 20 miles from me.
Marv
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote