Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-27-2014, 01:38 AM   #1
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Default Picture of me, ham shack & RV? OK :-)

Well since I'm a new guy here, I'll scare you all with a picture of me that I use on my company badge. Taken January 2006... YIKES!! 8.5 years ago!!

I still look about the same (HAH!), just older, fatter and grayer .

We won't be purchasing the Motor Home until next year, so a picture of my tiny shack at home will have to do for now. I change it around every few months, mostly by rotating old Swan and Drakes boat anchors that I collect into the main operating position. Here it is now with an old Swan 700cx-ss16b with matching Mark-II amp. A fun rig to "drive" .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BillCookeBioPicture-Jan 2006-Small.jpg (93.1 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Home Patterson Shack-DSCN3366-Tiny.jpg (228.0 KB, 129 views)

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:30 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Nice Shack!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Glad to see those pictures on the shack wall. Otherwise, by the evidence of your mug shot, you'd seem far too dignified for this group.

Welcome.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:33 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

That is some nice looking hardware there.

When you move into the motor home there is something Joe Walsh (Of the Eagles) and I happen to agree on, though originally for different reasons.

When I put the main radio (Kenwood TS-2000) in my motor home I had to think of my wife, who did not care for listening to the radio since to her it was all noise, no signal (I could clearly hear the voices). So i put it in a small room with a door that can be closed.

Now.. how many small rooms with closable doors are there in the average motor home (mine has 3 doors inside.. One pair of french doors to the main bath/restroom, The bedroom door, and a door into the small "Half bath" or restroom.. Yup, that's where I put the TS-2000, the half bath) so the operating "Chair" is functional for other uses as well.

Joe Walsh also has plumbing in his ham shack.. A different (house type) version of the same seat I have.

Joe commented you never miss so much as a syllable of the round table. My finding is this. I check into a net.. The net control says something like "Go ahead W7JZE and stand by John YXM" and .. Well, suddenly I feel the urge to be seated in a specific place...

Right where I'm sitting.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Glad to see those pictures on the shack wall. Otherwise, by the evidence of your mug shot, you'd seem far too dignified for this group.

Welcome.
Heh, heh, heh... NOT dignified at all, Carl. The photo was a group shot. Employer sent about 20 of us over to the studio in our "Sunday go to meeting clothes". They ran us through like cattle. Took maybe 40 or 50 shots of each of us, ~10 shots in 4 pre-staged areas. Maybe 15 - 20 seconds at each stage. Maybe 10 fast digital flashes at each stage. Two minutes later you looked at all forty or 50 of the digital "proofs" and you were allowed to pick two. They put those two on a CD for you and you brought it back to your employer.

$40.00 if I remember. Once the camera started clicking, all 20 or so of us were out of there in 30 minutes.

Since I do the camera shooting at my home, I don't have many pix of ME! I'm always the guy behind the camera.

I'll take a new "selfie" in the next week or so and repost it here.

Big difference

...ON EDIT...

Ah HaH! Found one. That's me lapping them up at Pier 23 on San Francisco bay less than two years ago.

http://pier23cafe.com/

If your smart though, you'll pay more attention to picture #2, my business luncheon companion that day . Some times this job is just too tough!

In the background is the "America's Cup" pier that was still under construction before they ran the race.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0045-BC-Smaller.jpg (133.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0050TS-Smaller.jpg (202.4 KB, 114 views)

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 PM   #6
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
That is some nice looking hardware there.

When you move into the motor home there is something Joe Walsh (Of the Eagles) and I happen to agree on, though originally for different reasons.

When I put the main radio (Kenwood TS-2000) in my motor home I had to think of my wife, who did not care for listening to the radio since to her it was all noise, no signal (I could clearly hear the voices). So i put it in a small room with a door that can be closed.

Now.. how many small rooms with closable doors are there in the average motor home (mine has 3 doors inside.. One pair of french doors to the main bath/restroom, The bedroom door, and a door into the small "Half bath" or restroom.. Yup, that's where I put the TS-2000, the half bath) so the operating "Chair" is functional for other uses as well.

Joe Walsh also has plumbing in his ham shack.. A different (house type) version of the same seat I have.

Joe commented you never miss so much as a syllable of the round table. My finding is this. I check into a net.. The net control says something like "Go ahead W7JZE and stand by John YXM" and .. Well, suddenly I feel the urge to be seated in a specific place...

Right where I'm sitting.
WoW! That is truly a multi-functional installation !

Thanks for the idea there, John. I won't rule "the littlest room" out as a home for the shack.

If the model we settle on has a bath-and-a-half, that may be the best solution for the XYL, for me and for the shack.

Everybody wins!

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
Old 05-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

That was the consideration when I installed there. The ability to shut the door and not bother the XYL.. alas, that is no longer a consideration but.. Short but true story.

My first contact as a Novice was a Government employee by the name of John Quincy Adamas SR (No, I'm not that old and I do not know if he was a ham).. His wife's name was Virginia..

Well he had two walls of the bedroom lined with ham gear, transmitters on one wall, receivers on the other, and the switch to transfer the antenna from one wall to the other in the corner. For 40 years Virginia complained about all that "JUNK" in the bedroom

Finally Quince built a garage,, and made it large enough he moved all his ham gear out there, Put up a tower and everyting, Very professional looking install...

Well Quince and many of the other folks from that area attended an annual "VHF Picnic" out on the shores of Lake Michigan, in Allegan County. And of course he brought his wife along... SHE WON A DOOR PRIZE (A small pocket transistor AM/FM broadcast radio)

So a while I'm shopping for QSL cards at the local card printers and he has samples on his wall.. Virginaia Adama (And I knew the address too)... Yup, now it was HER "Junk" on two walls of the bedroom.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

Welcome aboard Bill... nice to know somebody in this rag tag group owns a decent suit.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:57 AM   #9
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Welcome aboard Bill... nice to know somebody in this rag tag group owns a decent suit.

Thanks Radio. I wish the suit still fit <sigh>.

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
Old 06-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Bill.. I like your avatar.... Short story ... a couple weeks (1.5) Ago pulling out of the campground I brushed up against a pine and brushed the right hand rear view mirror off the motor home... Well 4 bolts and a bit of glue and it's good as new (longer bolts to replace the ones that stripped out) but... The mirrors are remote adjust and that circuit was DEAD.. I'm still searching for a fuse,, have not found one, can not understand why it might have blown since that mirror was not even "Live" at the time, but it blew.

Till I find it I am using a 1.4 amp current limiter to feed power to the circuit... Model 921, that is based upon your Avatar

Ground---Battery---(921 lamp)---Switch--Mirrors--Ground

The specified fuse is 1.5 amp, the lamp, in normal operation, never lights and thus presents a very LOW resistance, but if there is a short, the lamp WILL light, causing it to get HOT and present a fairly HIGH resistance, and thus limit the current to 1.4 amps.

Neat, and self resetting too. (Comes from a very old electronics artical I read when I wore much younger person's clothing and still recall).