Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Finally found the low point drains.

I finally found the low point drains on the 5th wheel I've had since July 2008.

Went looking for them because it's going down to 25 F tonight and the next few nights here in mid-Georgia. Looked for them before but never saw them. I was looking down the street side. They're under the bathroom on the curb side.

Didn't do a full winterize because we want to go out a time or too before Christmas, but did drain everything, button up good and set up an electric heater.

And these are plugs or caps. I think I'll put two little valves there just to make it easier on my self.

Soon as it warms up!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Gee, Wade, I always thought you lived in the South.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The land of "4" includes a lot of places where it gets downright COLD in the winter.. True story.. I winter in 4-land (Oconee county SC usually) a couple years ago I got up on Sunday morning, we packed up the Motor home and there was actuall snow on the road. Covering the outside 1/3 of the lane (The driver's side was clear and dry) Wife was worried about getting to church on time (3 miles, 1 hour we could have walked)

Drove (carefully) arrived well in advance.. Found Fr. was up in the mountains and snow up to his knees, called in and cancelled mass that AM giving everyone a pass on attending.. Thankfully one of the assistants (who grew up in Grand Heaven, MI. That's the lee side of Lake Michigan for most stormes, LAKE EFFECT SNOW). showed up and said Mass. 5 Choir members (Counting wife and I) sand Acapella.

So it really gets cold in the South.

Next winter Wife and I went down to GA (Southern at that) Darien about 39 miles from the FL line on the freeway.

Left on Jan 2, Temps in the 70's as I recall.. Pulled into Fair Play, SC and it was 25 out and our furnace.. Non-op. (Thank heaven for electric heaters).. WIfe was whining about how warm it was in GA... Yup, 27 that morning per my darling daughter who kept nice and warm with her newly minted husband beside her (Why we went to GA, the Wedding)

BTW. She has informed me that I'm going to be in GA come July this year.. Something about the birth of Grandchild #1
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Gee, Wade, I always thought you lived in the South.
It was 23 F, not 25 F when I checked on the trailer at 4:45 this morning on the way to work. The heater kept the inside a balmy 36 F.

Not only is this supposed to be the South, but where did all that global warming stuff go?

Old 11-13-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
She has informed me that I'm going to be in GA come July this year.. Something about the birth of Grandchild #1
Ummm, I hate to be the one to tell you, but if it's going to be in July this year, you missed it already.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I finally found the low point drains on the 5th wheel I've had since July 2008.

Went looking for them because it's going down to 25 F tonight and the next few nights here in mid-Georgia. Looked for them before but never saw them. I was looking down the street side. They're under the bathroom on the curb side.

Didn't do a full winterize because we want to go out a time or too before Christmas, but did drain everything, button up good and set up an electric heater.

And these are plugs or caps. I think I'll put two little valves there just to make it easier on my self.

Soon as it warms up!
I bought a brass hose blowout and I hook a compressor to the blowout and have the compressor output air pressure set to 40 pounds then pressurize the whole system of course, I bypassed and drained the hot water tank. Then open each valve on each faucet (both hot and cold) until absolutely no water vapor comes out of the faucet. I do several rounds this way with some time between rounds. After I am satisfied, I disconnect the air open the low point drains ad a cup of antifreeze to each drain. For years I winterized my 96 Winnebago this way. That worked up here in lower Michigan, never had one problem. Now my 2012 recommends that I use antifreeze in the lines, probably because of the added complexity of an ice maker and filtered drinking water tap.

After I bought the new RV I started paying the dealership that I bought the RV from to do the winterizing for me. The first year they forgot to drain the water heater and had to buy a new one.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
Now my 2012 recommends that I use antifreeze in the lines, probably because of the added complexity of an ice maker and filtered drinking water tap.
I don't know about getting pink-stuff into the water filters. They do remove the filters, right? I have a "whole house" (or rather, whole trailer) filter and I always remove it from the canister before adding pink-stuff.

I also put a capped soda bottle in the canister so I don't use so much pink-stuff filling up the canister.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Not only is this supposed to be the South, but where did all that global warming stuff go?
I still recall pulling into Fair Play SC (3 miles from GA on I-85) at 25F.. Wife whining about how much warmer it was in Townsend, GA where he were that morning.

Went on line for morning inernet run and Darling Daughter had posted the Morning temp in Darian (Next to Townsend) 27, Yup it was warmer, 2 degrees warmer.

As for Global Warming.. The myth of the year a short time ago. I have explained my position on it many times.

I took a tour of the White Lake, MI. NOAA facility.. One researcher explained a chart on his desk, Using assorted methods they had charted temperature trends going back several hundred years... Well turns out there were cycles within cycles within cycles and he'd graphed out at least 3 levels.

Nice Smooth curves, I think (It has been a while) Sine waves for the most part (Could be wrong on that) and at that time I projected the curves out for a couple of years beyond "Current" and yup, We remained dead on the curve.

HAD the industral revolution been the big heater the alarmists claim it was.. I'd have expected a "Bend" in the chart, or a jump, or somthing OTHER than nice smooth curves.

Well, the sortest cycle has cycled and now is back into a downturn.. Ineresting thing. it is about 11 years.

Anyone here know of any other 11 year cycles?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Anyone here know of any other 11 year cycles?
Longest I ever owned a cycle was 4 years, from 1950 to 1954. It was a Schwinn World Traveler I got for my 10th birthday. Skinny wheels, three-speed Sturmey Archer shifter on the handlebars, front and rear hand brakes. I loved that bike.

As for Global Warming, I'll listen to experts and not to people like me.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Radio
Administrator

And yesterday I went out to go to work and it was 68 F.

Go figure.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Yeah, it was chilly a couple nights ago, so when I went to teach last night I wore a jacket. Mistake! It was warm and a little muggy.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
wa8yxm

Sunday I was up on the roof moping in the lovely near 60 weather

This morning.. 24. I think was on the display.

And they expect the teens before I split for warmer weather (19 anyway) but I should be able to take 19 so long as I have both Propane (well over 50 pounds on board) and electricity (And I'll be on a 50 site that night).
Old 11-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Sunday I was ... on the roof ... in the lovely near 60 weather ...
60? Brrrrr.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
KC1BUD

Quote:
I don't know about getting pink-stuff into the water filters. They do remove the filters, right? I have a "whole house" (or rather, whole trailer) filter and I always remove it from the canister before adding pink-stuff.

I also put a capped soda bottle in the canister so I don't use so much pink-stuff filling up the canister.

Yep, without pinking up the water filter.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote