Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Amazon.com Phishing Scam

OK, here's the deal. Crooks are looking to load up your computer with malware that steals passwords and other stuff.

The way the scam works is you get an official looking email from what appears to be amazon.com, regarding a cancellation of an order. What's clever about this scam is they never ask you for any personal information, just click on the link to confirm the cancellation. It all looks very real.

Here are the give aways:

1. The cancellation is for something you did not order. (well, duh?)

2. The IP address of any link includes verbiage ahead of amazon.com in the URL, such as 12.54.26.87.amazon.com or memberservice.amazon.com.

3. It is good practice anytime you have a link in an unsolicited email to mouse over that link so that the URL preview will appear in your email tool. (but you guys knew that right?)

The reason I'm posting this is we intend to open our own Amazon Affiliate Store here on ORR.net to assist in paying the cost of keeping the site running.

I guess you could say the store is open, and you can buy stuff there if you like. I'm just not done stocking it. Have a look here:

http://astore.amazon.com/operoaradsto-20

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Nice job Wade! I'll remember to use that next time I order something. Do we get anything if we use the links on the side or do we get something only for the links on the ORR section?

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
Nice job Wade! I'll remember to use that next time I order something. Do we get anything if we use the links on the side or do we get something only for the links on the ORR section?
We are rewarded when any purchase is made via our store, which does include "similar items" in the sidebar, plus anything you search for from our store page.

Once you enter amazon.com via the Open Roads Radio Store, we get credit for any purchases made. You might want to bookmark our store as your amazon.com portal.

And here's an interesting thing. Our percent of the "cut" goes up based on the number of items purchased in a month, not the dollar amount.

So since your going to buy blank tank treatment anyway, along with other stuff like water filters and fresh hoses, might as well get it here. I buy a lot of stuff like that on line anyway. Now I buy it here.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
W5DOK
Old Member

Just ordered all my supplies for my upcoming trip. Would have probably bought them at the big store, but easier to just do it here. Thx Wade.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Just ordered all my supplies for my upcoming trip. Would have probably bought them at the big store, but easier to just do it here. Thx Wade.
Doc
And thank you, Doc. I have more work to do on the store. Picking out stuff to go in there is fun...especially the toy department!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 AM   #6
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Wade,
Maybe we should have a link to the ORR/Amazon on the main page.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
Wade,
Maybe we should have a link to the ORR/Amazon on the main page.
We will, as soon as I figure out how to paste the code into vBulletin.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM   #8
One Country Boy

Thank you for filling us in on all the info Wade. I'll be ordering as well through the Amazon Portal.

Speaking of the scams, they seem to be getting worse and worse.... As of recently I've been getting e-mails from scam artist portraying themselves as American Express. The html and graphics will fool you. These crooks do a good job. I naturally do not respond and get one or two a week. They even tell me how many times they have notified me that I need to update my information. I got an e-mail yesterday from the same scammers stating that they needed to verify a charge that was attempting to be made to my American Express. It seems a charge in excess of $4K was being charged. Now that got my attention !!! Then, all of a sudden I remembered.... H*ll, we don't have an American Express Card !!! When you hover over all the links and connections in the e-mail to make contact with these people, every link is the SAME. So no matter where you click, that malware is coming down the tubes to your computer.

Now I know I should not even be asking this, me being an old retired cop. But does anyone do anything about this crap? Who, if any do you report to? It looks as though an ISP, providing these crooks with service would like to rid themselves of their account.