Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
w6pea

I wonder if the set up I use, a Sidekick antenna and a long wire and pole set up like yours would do good for my set-up. In the rv? I took a piece of wire (old extension cord) and clipped it to my antenna and then threw the wire onto the car ports (live in a condo) and was able to tune 75/80, 160, pretty well.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM   #22
w7wv

Honestly I think you would find that antenna ineffective. I strung out various lengths of insulated wire I had on hand hooked to to AH-4 for tuning.
It was strung out over my native trees here with a height that does not exceed around 25' or so.
I found that although it tuned 80 and 160 it was just not high enough to do much good. Just too close to the ground I am thinking.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #23
w7wv

I will add one final note. We had a monsoon come in here that was a good one yesterday. We had winds of 45 mph plus gusts over that which is typical this time of year.
This mast stayed in place just fine the with the wire in place. It did whip around a lot topside but it held up OK. I would not put a heavy load on it though with any kind of wind.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 PM   #24
w6pea

Ken

I think you mistook what I asked. I might not have worded it right. I use a sidekick as a mobile antenna. I also use it at home on a tripod. I was wondering if I put up a mast as you have will it work? I use the sidekick and it works great by it's self. I set it about 25 ft away from the RV with the radials. I was looking at your set up. If it helps with the AH4 and a whip it should work (I hope) with my set up I have hooked a wire to the set up at home and it worked well just in the tree and on the roof of the carport. So all I can do is try it out.
W6pea
Pat
Old 06-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #25
w7wv

Oh, I misread (won't be the first time either) you would still have to have the radials for it.
At one time while I was renting property I had a High Sierra model 1500 on the roof. High Sierra recommended 8 each 10 foot radials from the base of the antenna to the roof. Even if it was elevated the radials must still come from the antenna. If I remember right they said it would be better if the radials were not at a downward angle more than required too.
They actually told me that the antenna would work better lower to the ground than it would high on a mast.
Check your manual, I would bet that for non mobile ops they tell you the same thing they told me on the phone and that's the 8 each 10' radials.
I am not sure about the Sidekick but they also had me remove a coil on the base of the antenna at the time.
I am thinking that was for 80 meters????
You might want to call them on the phone. They are very helpful.
Personally I thought the antenna install was much better and effective on my truck than in ever was on the roof but when it's all you can have you take what you can get if you know what I mean.
I am not sure about adding extra wire to the screwdriver itself. Why not? Experiment! I know on the. 1500/1800 series you can add or delete the whip for certain freqs.
I am thinking that the long wire AH-4 tuner has a little more tuning capability than the screwdriver but you never know.
I thought about another screwdriver for the RV but this setup was half the cost, less maintenance overall and I think better suits my needs at this time.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 AM   #26
w6pea

I had High Sierra make me up a set that are 25 ft. long 2 sets of 4 radials like the ones that come with the Sidekick and the tripod.

I haven't used them yet. But when we go up to Nevada later next month (August) I am going to try them. I put a 102" whip on the antenna and it works better than the 3ft mast. Tunes almost all of the band to below 1.5 seems good that way. I have about 500ft of wire on a spool and will make a couple of runs and see how they work out.
73 w6pea
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
w7wv

I can still remember the days of stringing field wire (the stuff they used for the field phones) from military sets practicing making antennas in case the station took a hit in combat.
Most of the guys in class did not pay whole lot of attention to these classes and how to compute the lengths needed for each freq. I thought it was interesting and that was before I was a ham.
When it came to getting the antenna up in the air they told us that if we needed something to help throw it up in the trees that the bayonet could work well for that purpose.
From what I have found out they don't teach anyone this type of stuff anymore and in the Army there is no such thing as a dedicated radio operator anymore.
I became an instructor down the road at Ft Huachuca, AZ not too long after arriving here on my first tour of duty after Radio School (05B) at Ft. Ord.
Taught CW for a little while, map reading, wire integration (like phone patches) and the operation of the PRC-25, the VRC-42-47, GRC-19 and the GRC-106 radio sets.
in 1967-68 most of the trainees that we taught had a 90% chance that they were going to Viet Nam right out of school. Most of course at the time were drafted at the time like I had been. When I graduated there were 5 in the class that did not go that way and I was one of them.
I had seen a ham station about 5 years before the Army but it was the Army training and a little boot legging on the bands with hams that got me interested in the hobby. You would have been amazed how many military radio ops were on the ham bands.
Many of the instructors at the course I taught at were hams prior to entering the service. One was also the NCOIC of the MARS station which I ran phone patches at for the guys in Viet Nam in our off time.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #28
Richard Stouffer

Camping now at the Thousand Trail at Lake Texoma in Texas. I've had pretty good results with the MFJ fibergalss mast, 32 feet, in the past, but nothing spectacular. I previously only used the aluminum frame on the RV as counterpoise and that's not been the best setup. Last night I ran a single wire aross the ground at about 25 feet for additional counterpoise and the erformance was markedly better. Had a clear signal from a VK this morning, but I didn't attempt a contact- too early and the XYL was still sleeping. Later, when she finally woke up, I received strong signal reports from several stateside stations, TN, NY, FL, MO, on 40 meters. The wire is 32 feet long and the top of the mast is 38 feet up. I have an AH-4 at the base of the mast.

By-the-way, putting that thing up is real chore.

Look carefully and you can see the very small US flag that's on the top. Perfect disguise, don't you think. I took this picture this morning.

73's and happy Fourth.

Richard- WU5K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mast on RV I mm IMG_4024.jpg (30.6 KB, 131 views)
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM   #29
One Country Boy

Received my Jackite Pole from e-Bay today. Does't weigh much and very compact.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
Walt123

Default Great results from vertical on RV trailer

Hi folks,
I wanted to show what I am using now on my RV setup as a result of seeing this thread.
It is the Jackite 31' pole holding #20 wire aloft, driven by an AH-4 tuner and a IC-7000 radio (inside the trailer).
The photo shows the antenna mounted to the front of the trailer. The pole mount is a section of 2.5" Sch 40 rigid PVC conduit (the pole fits the tube perfectly), held to the trailer frame with a u-bolt (also a perfect fit). The u-bolt was a part of a flagpole bumper mount from Poles and Holders that I purchased separately from my local RV shop.
At the tuner, and the radio, I am using 4 Fair-rite #2631803802 ferrites with both the coax and tuner cable wrapped through them a few times. I have not seen any RF problems from 80 - 6m.
Also, the tuner ground is strapped to the trailer frame. The setup and takedown are about 15 minutes at most.

Results: camping at Pismo Beach in CA, (1 block from the Pacific Ocean), I logged 30 DX stations over a few days, mostly Europe on 15 and 20m with JT65, some PSK63, and one RTTY from New Zealand on 12m. You can see some of the results on my QRZ website.

I also have a 21' flagpole mounted to the rear ladder that I may use to support a horizontal extension of the antenna.

Walt KD6NJE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_2421.jpg (29.1 KB, 76 views)
Walt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #31
Radio
Administrator

With that we welcome Walt123 aboard ORR.net.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #32
kb0ou

I am working on mounting the Jackite pole (31') on the back end of my MH. I should get the pole today by UPS. I am mounting on the hitch. Will try pictures later.

73 kb0ou
kb0ou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #33
kb0ou

Let me see if I can add a image of the antenna I mounted on the MotorHome.....

These are small Pics... try another one...

One more.. I used a hitch the had a Pintle hook on it, took the Pintle hook off and just used the hitch mount.....

The U-Bolts are 3.5 inch and fit around the 2.5 inch conduit perfectly. The Jackite pole antenna fits in the 2.5 Inch conduit really well.
I put a carriage bolt through the bottom to stop the Jackite pole and attached the antenna wire to the bolt. Will attach the center conductor of the coax to the tuner to the bolt/antenna and the shield to chasis ground.

I may have to add a coil at the bottom of the antenna to ground, we will see how it loads up.

kb0ou
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #34
kb0ou

It is now 03:00 Friday in Joplin, MO.
The above Pics are not there!! These are hosted at ImageShack. For some reason the web sight is not coming up. Maybe they are doing maintenance.

73 kb0ou
Old 07-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #35
KF5BET

You might want to try Photobucket.

I have never had a problem with them!

Can't wait to see the pictures.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #36
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by w7wv View Post
Oh, I misread (won't be the first time either) you would still have to have the radials for it.
At one time while I was renting property I had a High Sierra model 1500 on the roof. High Sierra recommended 8 each 10 foot radials from the base of the antenna to the roof. Even if it was elevated the radials must still come from the antenna. If I remember right they said it would be better if the radials were not at a downward angle more than required too.
They actually told me that the antenna would work better lower to the ground than it would high on a mast.
Check your manual, I would bet that for non mobile ops they tell you the same thing they told me on the phone and that's the 8 each 10' radials.
I am not sure about the Sidekick but they also had me remove a coil on the base of the antenna at the time.
I am thinking that was for 80 meters????
You might want to call them on the phone. They are very helpful.
Personally I thought the antenna install was much better and effective on my truck than in ever was on the roof but when it's all you can have you take what you can get if you know what I mean.
I am not sure about adding extra wire to the screwdriver itself. Why not? Experiment! I know on the. 1500/1800 series you can add or delete the whip for certain freqs.
I am thinking that the long wire AH-4 tuner has a little more tuning capability than the screwdriver but you never know.
I thought about another screwdriver for the RV but this setup was half the cost, less maintenance overall and I think better suits my needs at this time.
Most all of the screw driver types work best at ground level. I tow a camper and some times if I'm lazy and don't feel like putting up the big antenna I just use the Tarheel while it's still on the truck with a coax run inside the camper.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
Walt123

Default Update on trailer antenna setup

New antenna: LNR EFT-10/20/40 trail friendly end fed half wave. Works great, no tuner at base needed, NO RADIALS, easy to deploy on the 31' Jackite pole strapped as in previous post to the trailer frame near the hitch. The antenna extends about 10' horizontally from the pole tip, held with kite string to nearest high point.
New radio: Elecraft KX3 with internal tuner, 100 w amp soon to be added
Advantages of new setup: no radials, no tuner at antenna base needed (Previously used AH-4 tuner which has significant standby current), now only 0.2 amps (yes 200ma) standby current for the entire new rig
Walt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #38
N3LYT

Here is one of mine it's on 4' fiberglass poles up about 26' The dipole is made of the remains of an old 10 meter beam. The elements slide inside of one another I can tune the elements for 10,12 ,15 and 17 it works amazingly well and draws a pretty good crowd when I put it up the picture is at 17 meters don't think I get much more out of it! It 26' wide and 26' up looks funny over a 18' camper. It all fits in a box I made with wheels under it and I can get it assembled in less than 20 mins. The down side I do have to take it down to change bands.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1802 (683x1024).jpg (37.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #39
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I have a shorter version of the same pole but can easily "Extend" it by creating the proper "mount". It should work much the same.

I am working on assorted antennas. Currently when I can't find a handy tree I use a 4BTV fed by the KAT-1 tuner (Equivalent of yours but for my radio). It however does not work well on 75 meters.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #40
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I have a shorter version of the same pole but can easily "Extend" it by creating the proper "mount". It should work much the same.

I am working on assorted antennas. Currently when I can't find a handy tree I use a 4BTV fed by the KAT-1 tuner (Equivalent of yours but for my radio). It however does not work well on 75 meters.
Yes the elements on mine are pretty good diameter and are mostly flat across the voice bands enough so when I tune them with the Bird AT 100 I don't need to use a tuner with the radio they are all marked where they fit together so it's just a matter of clamping they down. I all so have a 40/80 meter that fits in the top of the posts as an inverted V made from ladder line but that takes up a lot of real-estate and does require the tuner it's a full 1/2 wave on 80. Usually I'm some where I can play with the big antennas but it can be an issue at a camp ground. I do a demonstration for the boy scouts at a local camp ground I work for part time but I get a nice open field to camp in that's a lot of fun and last year I was the "gota" guy during field day hard some much fun on 15M I'm going to do it again!