Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
w7wv

Default Do You Have A WX Station In The RV?

Getting ready for full timing we made a mistake and sold our WX station.
We had the Davis unit that was cabled for about 6 years and it never had a problem.
We decided it was something we just had to have so this time we upgraded and got the 6152 Pro 2 wireless version so I won't have wires hanging down on the RV. My wife really wanted wind and rainfall information rather than going with a basic station.
I am thinking that the anemometer and such may not be able to take the combined speeds of the wind and RV so I will take it down when we travel.
I think I may just use uni-strut to mount this using some PVC pipe. All I have to do it make sure it point North if I care about the wind direction.
Based on my past experience, and that of others that I know have had this system I can highly recomend it. I know many that had LaCrosse and Oregon Scientific and had problems particularly with the rain or wind sensors.
It's not cheap, but sometimes you really do get what you pay for.
I got a pretty good deal on this one via eBay on a "Best Offer" deal.
Oh well, another antenna as such. I think this makes 9 now.

w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
w6pea

I have a La Crosse Tec. unit. I didn't want to spend a lot of money. Didn't want and or need the rain gauge. (in an rv you can look out and see the rain). We go to a lot of Endurance rides (equestrian) don't really need the anemometer, but it's nice to know how fast the wind is.

When I put the anemometer, I attach it to a 12 foot extension pole from the rear ladder. Works okay but nothing to brag about. Thanks to Harbor Freight I have an endless supply of zipties.
I have had a few problems with the unit but it works well.

73 Pat
w6pea
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
w7wv

Yes I had an indoor and outdoor thermometer to install in our RV.
But my wife brought up that she really missed knowing what the total WX was after having the other station for around 6 years or so.
Oh well, there goes another part of the tax rebate check.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #4
N7OQ

I won a cheap Radio Shack weather station at a Ham Fest and it is collecting dust so thought about using it for the trailer. It can be used wireless will transmit the info to a box that hooks to a TV or computer. It displays Temp, wind speed, wind direction, humidity, and rain. It sounds good but it is cheap the box had a price tag of $50. I would really like to buy a Davis for the house but we never get real weather here just lousy Sunshine all the time with a little rain in the winter. I miss real weather I wish I could get the wife to move to a place that got weather, then I would have a bit weather stationan and a Boltex lightning detector. One can only dream...
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
w7wv

Yes I hated to spend that money again for the Davis. But then again we had the other cabled system for 6-7 years without a problem.
W get more than our fair share of sun down here next to the Mexican Border but this time of year when the monsoons roll in for a couple of months all bets are off. But we like them all except for the winds which can be very damaging.
Hey, I never thought about it but this things brings the total of antennas on my roof to 9 now.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
w7wv

Well mine is now mounted and running.
I will remove it for travel as I am not sure the wind gauges can take 60 MPH and a headwind too.

Of note my wife says with all the stuff on the roof that this MH is starting to look like an emergency response vehicle of some sort. This is number 9 in the way of antennas and such up there.

Tags
davis, radio shack, weather station, wind gauge