Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
N7OQ

Default Anyone into QRP

I have been thinking about trying QRP, and will be building a QRP transceiver. Sounds like it might be fun, and CW would be the easiest mode to do. I tried to copy some CW the other day and I'm a little rusty so I will need to do some practicing. I guess by the time I get a radio built and my CW speed up maybe we might have sun spot or two.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Richard Stouffer

I'm trying. I still can't get my QRP kit to work so I ordered the ARRL QRP package with their QRP book and the MFJ Cub. It's been two months and I'm hoping I get it before we leave for our Christmas sojourn. Fiddling around with that is a whole lot more fun than sitting around listening to my in laws.

By the way anitgotnun, QRP is Q code for low power; less than 5 watts.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Alterego

If everyone keeps talking about QRP, I will just have to go dig out my old "tuna can" 40m cw rig I built back in the early 70's. Yes it's built into a tuna can. It was a feature article done by a ARRL staffer way back then.
Alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Like this one?

Credit: http://blog.makezine.com/

You know a few years ago they guy who designed the original "tuna can" found the original tuna can transmitter in a junk box at a hamfest. Gave $5 for it. The write up about it was in QST
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuna2.jpg (8.5 KB, 60 views)
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Like this one?

Credit: http://blog.makezine.com/

You know a few years ago they guy who designed the original "tuna can" found the original tuna can transmitter in a junk box at a hamfest. Gave $5 for it. The write up about it was in QST
Very cool I would give $5 too. I think I still have the QST mags that have the article in it. I also remember a transmitter called the Sardine sender about the same time peroid.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Alterego

Well that one is just a whole bunch fancier than the one I built. (Nice art work.) But it appears to be the same general configuration. I'm really surprised some one else remembered them or even had a picture.
Now I will have to go out and start digging in the boxes of well preserved items (also known as junk box items) for mine.
Alterego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Richard Stouffer

I thought my XYL knew nothing about ham radios except that they must cost too much. So last week I looked in the trunk of her car and discovered a plastic bag with thirty or so mint condition Altoid cans. I know better than to ask her what they are for.

Who knows- maybe she been reading up on QRP, learned how to solder, and is going to surprise me at Christmas. She'll probably have better luck than me in getting one
to work.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Not intentionally, but when you use shortened portable antennas, you end up that way.[grin]

I don't speak code, so for me QRP operation is not quite as satisfying as it can be - I'm sure that if I ever learn, I will find QRP much more interesting. I have operated with an SGC SG-2020 which boasts 20 watts on SSB.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
jagco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Garcia O'Kely View Post
I don't speak code, so for me QRP operation is not quite as satisfying as it can be........
I used to speak code, but didn't stick with it, so it left me, just like the 2 years of German I took in High School
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote