Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default GA State Park Review #1

Made a trip down to The Villages in FL to visit DW's cousin who she grew up with and hadn't seen in 53 years. The Villages has more golf carts than cars, a unique collection of villages (shopping areas) and every type of recreation you can imagine. A great retirement place for someone that is active and has good funding. The area is gated but a push on a button at the gate will get you in. BUT, you need a guest pass to take advantage of anything.

Anyway, on the way down we camped at the Georgia Veterans Memorial State Park about 8 miles west of Cordele, GA on Hwy 280/30. A very well kept state park with, camping, fishing (Lake Blackshear- 8000 acres), cottages, lodge, upscale restaurant, bar and grill, and golfing. Pretty complete package. They also have an outdoor exhibit of a few military aircraft (B-29, F80) and some tanks and artillery. Weekends there is a shortline train that runs from Cordele to just west of Plains, GA. There is also a RC airplane field. As with all GA state parks there is a $5 admission fee. You can purchase a Friends of GA State Parks pass for $70, seniors get a 50% discount and the pass is $35 for a years use (based on 12 months from purchase date - not calendar year) which gives you free admission for the year, plus you get one night free stay with the purchase. Seniors get a 20% discount for camping and most parks have the same fee of $28 for seniors. So with the free night stay the price amounts to about $7 for the annual pass for a senior. This park has cable TV with over 50 channels. I didn't check the cell coverage but being near I-75 I would presume it would be good. I counted about 24 lakeside back-in campsites, maybe 3 or 4 pull throughs on the lake shore. All together there are 77 tent and RV campsites. 17 pull throughs in the area we camped. Camping area 3 is all pull thoughs but many of them could be tent camping. Most sites are shaded except southern exposure on the shoreline (good for satellite TV).

Note, you can make a campsite reservation but they don't assign a site to you. It is first come, first serve basis to pick a site (all state parks are that way). Campsite parking is compacted crushed stone and fairly level for the most part.

There is a minimart on Highway 280/30 just across the road from the entrance to the park so groceries and fuel can be gotten there or drive 8 miles east into Cordele to grocery stores and fuel.

I really liked this park and would not hesitate to spend a week here.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote