Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default Bibb

It's not every day that I encounter a word I don't know. When I do, I look it up. This habit has served me well.

Today I encountered a new word, bibb. I looked it up.

bibb, n. Naut. a sidepiece of timber bolted to the hounds of a mast to support the trestletrees.

Well, gosh. I grew up on Navy bases and thought I knew some nautical lingo. Continuing in the dictionary:

hound, n. pl. Shipbuilding The framing at the masthead of a vessel to support the heel of the topmast and the upper parts of the lower rigging.

trestletree, n. Naut. A strong timber fixed on the masthead to support the crosstrees, the frame of the top, and the topmast through the fid; -- chiefly in pl.

Dang. Gotta dig deeper.

masthead, n. The top of a mast, esp. of the lower mast.

heel, n. Naut. The lower end of a mast, a boom, the sternpost, etc.

crosstrees, n. pl. Naut. Two horizontal pieces of timber or metal supported by the trestletrees at a masthead, to spread the upper shrouds to support the mast.

fid, n. Naut. A square bar of wood or iron, used to support the topmast.

Phooey, I give up. Anyone know what a bibb is?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
It's not every day that I encounter a word I don't know. When I do, I look it up. This habit has served me well.

Today I encountered a new word, bibb. I looked it up.

bibb, n. Naut. a sidepiece of timber bolted to the hounds of a mast to support the trestletrees.

Well, gosh. I grew up on Navy bases and thought I knew some nautical lingo. Continuing in the dictionary:

hound, n. pl. Shipbuilding The framing at the masthead of a vessel to support the heel of the topmast and the upper parts of the lower rigging.

trestletree, n. Naut. A strong timber fixed on the masthead to support the crosstrees, the frame of the top, and the topmast through the fid; -- chiefly in pl.

Dang. Gotta dig deeper.

masthead, n. The top of a mast, esp. of the lower mast.

heel, n. Naut. The lower end of a mast, a boom, the sternpost, etc.

crosstrees, n. pl. Naut. Two horizontal pieces of timber or metal supported by the trestletrees at a masthead, to spread the upper shrouds to support the mast.

fid, n. Naut. A square bar of wood or iron, used to support the topmast.

Phooey, I give up. Anyone know what a bibb is?
Golly gee Carl. All I've got is hose bibb. A nautical / sailing bibb? HMmmm...

I'm a fairly active recreational sailor since the late 70s. But "bibb" and "hound" and "fid" as nautical terms escape me. "Fid" escapes me regardless of nautical or not!

Yikes!

The rest I'm a little familiar with although I've never crewed on a tall-ship, I've at least heard the words used occasionally.

So shiver me timbers matey and good luck finding (or understanding) your answer before ya' be visiting Davey Jones.

ARGHHHHHhhhhh...

On edit:

ARGHHHHHhhhhh... (Thanks, Radio)

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Poor little pirate smiley never gets used...
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Actually the question was mostly rhetorical, the intent of the message being in the nature of Adlai Stevenson's remark, A funny thing happened to me on the way to the White House ...

Still, lexicographic mysteries exist to be solved. Bibbs, it appears, are used specifically in the structure (at the top of, for example, a mainmast) that supports and holds vertical an additional section of mast (a topmast), which may in turn have similarly attached to its top end a topgallant mast.

The illustration shows bibbs and trestletrees, from an article on model-building.

Note that the dimensions shown seem small; they are for a model of a tall ship.

The topmast attaches to the front face of the mainmast at the head, and the topgallant mast (if present) to the front face of the topmast at its head. If the ship is really tall, or the builders hail from a place with no tall trees, it may have a royal mast above the topgallant.

The bibbs are securely fastened to the sides of the mainmast (to the hounds [see below]) as shown; then the trestletrees sit on the bibbs and extend fore and aft. The crosstrees are longer; they sit on the trestletrees and extend athwartship. The topmast sits on the crosstrees and is fastened to the head of the mainmast.

A hole extends fore-and-aft through the mainmast and topmast. Through this hole, which aligns when the topmast sits on the crosstrees, is placed a timber (or a metal piece) of square or rectangular cross-section, the fid, which is loaded in nearly pure shear and supports most of the vertical load (weight of the topmast and its attachments, plus the resultant of the tensions on the rigging).

Then considerable additional structure is added, supported by the nice long crosstrees, to give men a place to stand and to provide attachment points for the rigging and so forth.

The mast shown in the illustration apparently has no hounds, which would be a layer of timber enclosing (on all four sides) the part of the mast to which the bibbs and topmast are fastened. In the model, the masthead is squared by cutting; on a tall ship it is squared by adding the hounds, which are timbers that are shaped to fit the mast on one side, and flat on the other for attaching the bibbs etc. Thus the mast is strengthened, instead of being weakened, to create flat attachment surfaces.

Two days ago I knew none of this. I think I have it mostly right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bibbs & trestletrees.jpg (72.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-30-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

I tried to help but didn't have much luck with words searched so I tried images.

There are bibs that look like faucets to me.
There are bibs that southerners would call waders, the sort of chest high rubber pants that are great for fly fishing and baptizing folks.
And when I got more specific, and asked for "sailboat bibs" I got a bunch of these...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bib.jpg (6.1 KB, 30 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Old 04-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Try it again with the correct spelling ...
Old 05-04-2015, 10:14 AM   #7
electricflyer

I used to use a bib when I ate at Gold Star or Skyline Chili in Cincinnati. If you didn't have one there would be spaghetti sauce on your white shirt.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #8
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
I used to use a bib ... If you didn't have one there would be spaghetti sauce on your white shirt.
I guess it depends on where, and by whom, or perhaps whether, you were taught the use of table implements ...
Old 05-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #9
electricflyer

Carl, I will assume you have never had Cincinnati style Chili. Many people didn't want to be seen with the bib on but learned to regret it. By the way Skyline chili sauce can be found in most frozen food sections in the grocery store (YUM). Occasionally it can be found with other canned chili.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #10
Radio
Administrator

Went out to a lobster bar and they put this HUGE bib on Sweet Wife which made her look like an infant. along with half the church orchestra so she had company.

I don't care much for lobster. I had shrimp, and my dignity.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Carl, I will assume you have never had Cincinnati style Chili.
Actually I've had chili in Cincinnati, though I cannot attest its style. Having lived in Texas for about a third of my three quarters of a century of existence, I can say that what I had in Cincy didn't much resemble actual chili.

But that was long ago. As a youth I had step-relatives, a great horde of them, and a number of blood relatives too, in Cincinnati, and visited some of them from time to time. Decades later, I did some consulting (at Procter & Gamble, among others) in Cincinnati, and of course I had to eat. I've outlived the relatives, perhaps in consequence of avoiding Cincinnati chili in favor of Tex-Mex in Texas, which (a) is delicious, (b) toughens you up, and (c) varies considerably. My favorite enchiladas are still the sour-cream ones (beef or chicken) at El Fenix in Dallas. Some will sneer because El Fenix is a chain, but it's rigidly controlled and always excellent.

There are hundreds and hundreds of Mexican restaurants in Dallas. Some are Tex-Mex, some not. One that I used to have lunch in occasionally had dirt floors -- and its walls were galvanized corrugated steel, the kind used for putting roofs on sheds.

But my favorite Mexican food is what I believe is called Mexico City style. Mario and Alberto Leal, over a couple decades, owned a succession of most wonderful restaurants in Dallas: Chiquita in two successive locations (they lost the lease on their first location; there's a story in that), followed by Mario & Alberto, and then (in Plano) Alberto's. Alas, they're all gone now. I lived quite close to Mario & Alberto for a long time, and it's a wonder I don't weigh 500 pounds.

Maybe some day I'll make you some real chili.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #12
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Went out to a lobster bar and they put this HUGE bib on Sweet Wife which made her look like an infant. along with half the church orchestra so she had company.

I don't care much for lobster. I had shrimp, and my dignity.
If you're ever in Philadelphia, try Bookbinder's, the big one at or near the foot of Walnut Street on the riverfront (not the other Bookbinder's elsewhere). Best breaded oysters on the planet, and those who eat lobster usually judge their lobster the same way. Bring money.

Best shrimp, though, is to be found in Panacea and Apalachicola in Florida, which is where the shrimps are born and live out their little lives until a couple hours before you eat'em nearby. Bring money.

Another place for excellent seafood is Manhattan Ocean Club, which is a restaurant and not a club, in (of all places) Manhattan. When I was in NYC consulting for Lorillard Tobacco (about 1997 or so), a colleague and I were on a very generous expense account, and we spent over $300 for dinner there. Each. We ate there only once. Too rich for us, even on expenses.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:00 PM   #13
electricflyer

True, Cincinnati style chili is not what most people are accustomed to. For those that don't know, it is a spicy thin sauce over spaghetti and then totally covered with finely shredded cheese (3 way). Kind of like the Waffle House, smothered and covered. You can add to the chili with beans, onion (4 and 5 way). For a side dish get a couple chili pups, being a small hot dog on a fresh bun and also with chili sauce and a mound of shredded cheese. Carl, since you did some work for P&G did you ever have a meal at the "Montgomery Inn"? Great BBQ ribs. I lived in Englewood, OH (North Dayton) (1/2 mile from Hara Arena) for 18 years and went to Cincinnati quite often on business (and pleasure). Two odors I always remembered about Cincinnati, the smell of P&G making the soap products and further up I-75 the smell of Jim Beam blending the whisky. They didn't distil there just did the blending.

A little factoid, the Cincinnati Visitors Bureau says more than 2,000,000 lbs of chili is consumed in Cincinnati each year.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM   #14
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Ah so. The population of Cincinnati is a little below 300,000. If they eat two million lb of chili a year, that's about 6.7 lb for each man, woman, child, and suckling infant. Maybe so, but forgive me for doubting. However, I don't doubt they say it.

I don't remember eating anything like what you describe. Sounds -- well -- horrid. Spaghetti sauces should not be thin. I seldom order spaghetti in restaurants, with any kind of sauce, although I often receive it as a side dish with various Italian dishes. Sometimes I even eat some of it. Mostly, when I eat spaghetti as a main dish (seldom) I eat it at home, with my own spaghetti sauce, made just the way I like it.

I actually don't remember where I ate in Cincy. Last time I was there, except when I couldn't get closer lodging for the Hamvention, was 18 years ago in 1997. In 2005 or so, several Tallahassee hams, and WI5G from Dallas, all stayed in a sort of motel just outside Cincy. It had a big communal kitchen, and KC4TOC and I, both loving to cook, made -- guess what -- spaghetti for the five or six or so hams in the party. It was delicious, with nice thick meaty and mushroomy sauce.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #15
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
True, Cincinnati style chili is not what most people are accustomed to. For those that don't know, it is a spicy thin sauce over spaghetti and then totally covered with finely shredded cheese .
Down here we have such a thing and it's called a Chili Mac. The Steak and Shake chain carries it, among others. Every once in a while I will get the urge and go have a Chili Mac. It's about the only thing I ever eat at Steak and Shake.