Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
One Country Boy

Default Valve Stem Extensions ?

This is the first dual wheel vehicle we have owned. I'm having a problem checking and putting air in the rear tires. Not the inside tires, they have flexible, wire mesh valve stem extensions on them and are easily accessable. The outside tires do not have extensions on them and face the inside. I have to reach in, between the two tires to check the pressure. To add air is an even larger problem.

What type or brand extensions do I need? Where do I get them? Do the tired have to be removed and re-mounted for the longer extensions to be installed in the rim itself? They will have to be flexible or curved to face outward through one of the holes in the rims. Do that make an extension where the valve can removed from the existing stem and the extension be added or threaded to it, with a valve in it? This way the tire would not have to be removed at all.

I'm just not familiar with this stuff. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Jim:
Go to your Auto Parts store and explain the proublem, there are preasure gauges and filler tools made with two sided heads set at about a 30 degree angle for such purposes.
Might also try some of the larger truck stop's.
If I can get a pix to load I'll shoot one later today and show you what I mean.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Not sure this is going to work, but I made this up before I retired .
Hope they come through clear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-12-09 06.48.07.jpg (41.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-09 06.49.01.jpg (55.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-12-09 06.49.18.jpg (50.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
W5DOK
Old Member

On my coach, both valve stems have flexible hoses that mount to a bracket that is mounted to the hub cover. Very easy to get to. However, as with all flexible air lines, they have a tendency to leak. If you a tire that is losing air very slowly, the first thing to check is those flex lines. They are available at most rv parts and supply stores. i.e. PPL.
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There is a company called "Dually Valves" if I'm not mistaken (Google for it) Now these are not valve stem extensions.. They are complete valve stems, you have to dismount, break down the tire, then replace the valve, re inflate, re-balance and re-mount.

But they are the best,, About 150 bucks a set as I recall.

Can not help you with extensions.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9WLS View Post
Jim:
Go to your Auto Parts store and explain the proublem, there are preasure gauges and filler tools made with two sided heads set at about a 30 degree angle for such purposes.
Might also try some of the larger truck stop's.
If I can get a pix to load I'll shoot one later today and show you what I mean.
Even with two sided heads, the stems can be difficult to reach.

On our rig I put straight extensions on the front to clear the stainless simulators which have smaller holes than the rims do. On the rear wheels I bought a set for the dual wheels with the flexible tubing and mounting clips. Some hold the air pressure of the tire, not recommended because if they loosen they can cause a flat tire.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
WD8QBQ

Nice towel John, does Hampton Inn know where it is?

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
WD8QBQ

Jim, if you would post a picture of what you have you will get a more accurate reply.

I am one and there are many that don't recommend valve extensions, the reason being that they are prone to catastrophic failure if ignored and not checked often. (blow out, when worn due to flexing)
That said I use two, one on each drive inner wheel. Mine are solid brass and I slip a piece of fuel hose over them to protect from wear. They also go through a special bushing available from the wheel manufacturer. (aluminum wheels)
A good habit is to check tire pressure before the days journey and look at the wheels/tires with a walk around when stopping during the day.
I also have an inexpensive infrared pistol thermometer with which to scan the wheel hubs and tires periodically. (it also comes in handy to check other components and air conditioning output vs input air temp)

Back to the valve stems if you have bent metal truck type stems they can often be turned to point a different direction without dismounting the tire. The stem is constructed to seal with an o-ring in a recess on the inside of the wheel, it is supposed to be tight, but not too tight. Often it can be carefully turned (clockwise) to the desired direction without access to the inside of the wheel.

I will look through my pictures and post if I have any that pertain.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #9
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
Nice towel John, does Hampton Inn know where it is?

JIM
Not a towel, a bath mat (I think), and no they most likely don't have a clue, we got it in a yard sale about 10 years ago, do'es a good job of keeping the chair seat clean and UN-worne though.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer

You can also buy a solid extension for the outer wheels that have about a 135 degree bend in them that makes them more accessible for checking and inflation. I think mine are made by wheelmasters. 73 John K3NOQ/mobile 5 (today)

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
motorcycle jack

If you want real valve stem extensions, either brass or chrome, go here:

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits

My F-450 never had it so good, now I can check my pressure everyday.

John
NQ3RP
motorcycle jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
One Country Boy

My sincere thank you to all the forum members for your responses. Some good answers and suggestions. I've got one of those tire guages with the 45 degree head on it. It's too long to get in between the tires. The good valve stems that require installation by unmounting and re-mounting the tires is probably the way to go. They are rather expensive. Everyone is consistant on ORR and another forum I looked at about almost certainly experiencing leaks with just adding the valve stem extentions. I've not experienced any leakage to this point (knocking on wood), so I think I'll just stay the way I am and suffer the extra time, sticking the old hands and arms between the tires. It takes a little extra time and is an inconvenience but the alternatives are pretty expensive or could cause problems. Again thank you to all who responded.