Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Field Day 2014

Field Day tomorrow. How many of you will be in action? Our club will probably by 3A, Call Sign - W4TIY - GA. Check the ARRL field day locator. I'll be working it as long as the band will cooperate. It doesn't look too good right now.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

May or may not do a few contacts... Promises to be busy day anyway. Other activities and too hot/humid to be outdoors. (I am in Townsend, GA this month)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 AM   #3
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Default Backyard solar-battery powered FD

Hi Marv,

I did a backyard FD event on battery power with solar trickle charging. I've got to run to work now. I'll post some pix later tonight.

PS: I had a great time .

ON EDIT: Here are a few pix of my backyard 1E-SJV FD station (1 transmitter emergency power San Joaquin Valley, CA). I had two 35 AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries. Use one. Trickle charge the other with a small solar panel. Swap as needed.

First picture is actually the most important picture. Turn OFF the sprinklers before erecting station !

Next picture shows the backyard before stating to assemble the station. I mounted an old digital camera on a tripod and kept it in the same spot for all of the pix:

Next the 12 foot canopy goes up:

Then Sandra (My wife's caregiver) as well as Sparkle (Darling Darlene's little Bichon Frise) and the GARDEN ZOMBIE (Back in the corner of the yard ) all help with the getting the "victual essentials" ready for chill-down:

Then we put up a little station "advertising" in the form of a vinyl banner I had made at eSigns. Surprisingly inexpensive:

Then a little ice for the beer and other items

Then Sandra helped me put the small solar trickle charger on the roof. I trickle charged one of the SLA batteries while using the other. Swapped as needed:

Then brother Danny shows up to help with the last of the Power Pole connections and splices before moving the Icom7000 and other station components outside. We also then raised the 40M and 20M backyard dipoles. Most importantly, he also needed to insure that the beer was cold enough to continue :-)

Finally we are on the air making FD Qs as I explain UTC to brother Danny (Notice the UTC clock )

As evening approached I get the battery powered night lights out and ready. I didn't want to stumble around in the dark setting them up so I thought it better to stumble around in the late afternoon sun to get the night lights ready.

After some quality inside dinner time and TV time with XYL "Darling Darlene", I head back out into the wilds of the backyard to enjoy some late night OPs.

As the night progressed I continued FD operations listening to the distant stations drift in over the ether. Night Ops was the most fun for me. If I do this again next year, some bug spray or mosquito netting will be on the checklist!

Adding more later... need to get ready for work now

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7JZE View Post
Hi Marv,

I did a backyard FD event on battery power with solar trickle charging. I've got to run to work now. I'll post some pix later tonight.

PS: I had a great time .

Hmmm, maybe next year... The 5th wheel is parked right next to the tower. I could be a battery powered portable with a quad at 70 feet.

Hmmm, indeed.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Hmmm, maybe next year... The 5th wheel is parked right next to the tower. I could be a battery powered portable with a quad at 70 feet.

Hmmm, indeed.

That is a great idea, Radio. Much, much better than moving the tower to be with the 5th wheel .

Man, I lern thangs ever day on the Intertoobz !

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
N3LYT

Our club (W1MWV ARC) was active however I was at Mt. Washington for the Climb To The Clouds event by the way I don't know if any one has been up the Mt. but the fastest car up this year did it in 6 min. 9.09 sec. There were several ham at the event we are the ones that provide communications for the race and a few did field day after the morning practice runs at the base of the mountain. http://climbtotheclouds.com/
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #7
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I took the weekend off radio wise.. Too many other things, a Thunderstorm, and so on....

No trees near the motor home (Battery power reqires only that I trip a single circuit breaker,, I do that and I haver over 550 amp hours of battery power for the house, The house needs very little battery power (Control for 2 Air conditioners, water heater and fridge a few lights, some LED) but the TS-2000.. IS powered by the house power supply, about 3-4 days normal time to "Oh, I pulled the stupid plug again" summertimes. Bit faster in the coldest winter days when I kick in the furnace, it is a major 12 volt power sucker.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
KF5BET

Coming late here....Our club W5DDL operated a 2a station.

We had a week of solid rain, so could not get the mobile operations vehicle or the antenna trailer out of storage (field behind members house) because of the rain.

We set up at a remote location (members family house in the country) which had a large covered porch on the very large metal shop building, pool, stocked pond, no electrical overhead and a lot of trees. Absolutely perfect location. Threw a couple of wire antennas up into trees and were ready for action about an hour before kick off.

Operated radios from generator and operated all radios for the entire 24 hour period (minus 2 hours around 4am...). We had 12 operators and logged 945 contacts. The girls made 160 of those contacts on 20m (needless to say they had a blast). We were in it for fun, not points. Worked 40m, 20m and 15m. Had no CW or digital....maybe next year.

We had a lot of fellowship, food and fun. Was worried about the weather, but it cleared up Saturday afternoon and was nice all through the weekend even if it was hot. Thank goodness for those large shop fans!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote