Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
n3crs

Default Generator Suggestions

I am looking to buy a generator to use with my travel trailer. I have narrowed it down to a Honda eu3000 or the Yamaha EF3000isE/B. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions. The DB ratings are very close although the Honda is a little quieter. I am not sure it will be noticable. I like the remote start option for the Yamaha. I like the Honda because it is lighter but the Yamaha comes with wheels. It appears that the Honda is a little less expensive. Help?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.

Thanks,

n3crs
n3crs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Scott,
I tried to use a Honda EU1000 at Field Day a couple of years back. The HF noise was terrible (DC Generator / AC Inverter). I tried to suppress it with a coil of the AC extention wire and RF beads, but no help. I understand that the newer units have been cleaned up, but I would check the specifications and try one out for RFI first.
Andy

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

While I've never run radios off either one of them I have listened to them and the Yahama is very quite.. One or two DB's is less difference than you can hear.

I have been told, but have not been able to verify, that Yahama uses ball bearings and Honda Sleeve bearings, at least on the 1000 and 2000 models... Don't know about the 3000s I also like that the Yahama unit is not red.... You wonder what color has to do with it.. Simple... There are those who walk along and see an enclosed generator dressed in RED and they think "Oh, those Honda generators are valuable. I can pawn that for lots of drug money" but when they see a yellow one.. They do not get so excited. And thus yellow generators stick around longer.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
w7wv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
Scott,
I tried to use a Honda EU1000 at Field Day a couple of years back. The HF noise was terrible (DC Generator / AC Inverter). I tried to suppress it with a coil of the AC extention wire and RF beads, but no help. I understand that the newer units have been cleaned up, but I would check the specifications and try one out for RFI first.
Andy
Are you sure that was the EU series? I ran my EU 2000 with a number of rigs a few years ago with no problems whatsoever?

To the OP. I have had many gensets over the years from Onan to Honda and Yamaha included. (Never buy anything powered by a Briggs and Stratton! if you have neighbors or want to talk)
For portable use I preferred the Hondas for reliability by far over the Yamahas.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
n3crs

I too am partial to Honda. I own an EG-3500 for the house and never had a problem with it but I am open to changing if it is worth it. Thanks for the feedback.

SCOTT
n3crs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:18 PM   #6
Andy N1ORK

Ken,
I'm pretty sure it was the EU1000. Does Honda make another 1000 unit? Red, about 15lbs 1kwAC, 12vDC for charging. About 14"H x 12"W x 18"L. You could hook up 2 in parrallel if needed. Had to use another ACgen.
Andy

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #7
w7wv

Yes, they made a 650 and a 1000 in what I call a contractor grade.
The EU means it had an inverter and should have been quiet noise wise.
I don't think they make the little ones like that anymore since the newer and much quieter EU series came out.
But on the other hand you said they could be paralleled and the older contractor style would not do that to the best of my knowledge.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #8
N7OQ

I have the Kipor 3000 really only 2800watts but it is quite a inverter generator and it only weighs 65 lbs will run the AC even at 6000 feet. It cost me $900 to the door but not sure you can buy that model now. The Honda is a first class generator my Brother-in-law has one and it has the wheel kit and remote start kit, both can be added later. As for the RF noise I here all you have to do is run a jumper from the -12 to ground and the noise will disappear. I really think it is hard to beat a Honda.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 AM   #9
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Just a thought about the noisy honda

Did you use the 12 volt terminals? DO NOT USE THESE they are not clean DC but rectified AC and they are basically worthless.

Would be better if they did not include them on the package. I might use 'em to power a lamp, but I'd not even use them to charge a battery.. I'd use a proper converter to do that.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #10
Andy N1ORK

No, we were using (powering off) the AC. It may have been a good idea to ground the -12vdc. The 12vdc is only used to charge a car battery (when not operating radio eq.)

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 06-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
w6pea

In my RV I have an Onan 4000 watt unit. I am looking to get another Onan to put in the bed of my P/U, but with the price of fuel these days, the extra generator can wait, the only problem is it seems everything is made in China or Japan these days.

I know my radios were made in Japan...wish they would have been made here.
I really try not to buy anything that is not made in the United States anymore.

73 Pat
w6pea
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #12
wa8yxm

I do not think grounding the 12 volt side would have helped and it's not that great for charging

Another thought is There are many companies that make "Contractor" grage generators which use Honda motors... The motor clearly says HONDA upon it But the beast is no Honda just the motor