Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
N4MU Papi

Default Tarheel on Ladder - Experiences?

I want to mount my Tarheel on the RV ladder. I plan on using the MT-1 mount and will also include a #6 solid copper wire and bond to the RV frame underneath. RV is 40' Cedar Creek. My question is whether also installing some radials on the ground (emanating from the copper bonding point) will improve efficiency or would be a waste of time. Base of Tarheel will be aprox. 10 feet elevated. Any ideas and experiences are appreciated.

“I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.” - Carl Sagan
N4MU Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
N3LYT

I'm not sure that would help Tarheel says to ground mount them with radials. I have mine is mounted on a post on the back of my camper up maybe 8' I have had very good results with it. The post is well grounded to the camper frame and body my camper roof is aluminum and I'm sure that helps. My truck antenna is a Lil Tarheel and it is mounted on the rear corner of the truck bed there are no ground cables to the frame just a good body ground and I have over 50 countries mobile. I'm going to say the biggest problem with a mobile is earth ground losses not ground plane problems.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

An old friend (now SK) had a similar set-up on his 5er , Tarheel on the ladder with a bond to the frame, worked well as it was.
But he also had a modified ground rod (about 4 feet long with a "T" handle top and clamp) for when he felt that he needed / wanted more grounding, had about 10 feet of welding cable attached with a couple of BIG jumper cable clamp's.
He would "SPUD" the rod into the ground where he wanted it with a gallon of water and attach the big jumper to it and the bond point on the 5er,
I can't say that it made a lot of difference in his signal except when he was in the western states (dryer ground conditions) but it did work.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
N3LYT

The screw driver antennas defy logic there is no reason they should work as well as they do it just goes to show you how well QRP does work! My tiny Lil Tarheel will tune 6 to 80 meters and work well on all of them. I did put a much longer stinger on it that did improve the performance. I have a friend that uses his on the ground with radials and a 12' whip.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #5
ke0me

Default tarheel antenna - saga continues

This was the most recent Tarheel antenna post I could find to piggyback on.

I am planning to order my lil tarheel II next week.

Current plan is to mount it on a pole at rear of trailer with the bottom of the antenna feed point about roof level. Will this be too high for the ground plane (as defined by K0BG)?

I am going through K0BG articles on his website, but haven't finished reading all of them yet.

As he states, what counts is the mass of metal under the antenna, not beside it.

Trailer is typical aluminum frame with fiberglass bonded panels.

Is there any place I could run a ground strap to connect to the frame? The only metal part exposed that I recall is the AC unit.

I am searching for 1" tinned braid and suitable 2-hole lugs, so if anyone has a source, please advise.

I'm concerned about having the closest chassis ground point 10 feet below the feed point, don't know if the chassis is electrically connected to the aluminum framework.

So, any experiences good or bad that you wish to share will be appreciated, esp. from those who have installed the tarheels on a RV.

Thanks in advance
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #6
N3LYT

As far as above the roof if the coil is above the roof your fine. Tarheel sells a radial kit it is meet for ground mounting the antenna and that is what they recommend. I would not stress over a vehicle as a ground plane they a lousy ground planes no matter how hard you work at it.. I suppose you could us aluminum foil tape on the roof for a ground plane. I think if it doesn't work well with just the antenna I think I would make some type of a counter poise will thin SS rods. My Tarheel is mounted to the rear of my truck bed it does not have breaded wire strung every where just a good body ground I guess it works I have over 70 countries mobile. Oh to make matters worse according to the ground plane guys the bed is plastic!
Old 03-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #7
ChuckW5KAV

Send a message via Skype™ to ChuckW5KAV

I was thinking of the same thing for my 5th wheel with a the larger High Sierra,
running 1" ground strap down to cross member that is welded to frame which
hold the bumper. I just didn't know what type of bracket I was going to use
to do such so TNXS for the idea on the MT-1 mount.

Once you have it mounted I like to see some pictures, I'm sure so would others

73 Chuck W5KAV

73 Chuck W5KAV
ChuckW5KAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
ke0me

Default tarheel mount

it may be a month or 2 before u get everything done, but i willl update as i make progress.

I want to get an antenna analyzer before i stsrt so i can see how the Z changes as i install different configs.

PS- the dang auto keyboard is off on the windows 8 tablet, so its a pain to type. Guess I''ll have to call tech support (grandson) to solve
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
N4MU Papi

Update from OP: Been using the Tarheel on the RV ladder for a couple months now down at our "resting place"...in Florida. I can tell you that it seems to be working very well. With the ALS-600 amp in line if I call 'em they answer! Don't know if it's the 500 watts or the Tarheel but I have no problems making contact. Nothing special...antenna is mounted with the Tarheel MT-1 at the first ladder rung up on top. I am planning on another antenna , possibly MFJ-1775(we're stationary) and am wondering if it will do as well.

“I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.” - Carl Sagan
N4MU Papi is offline   Reply With Quote