Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default It's tornado season again.

I was picking up a few things at the grocery store (happened to be a Kroger) and noticed they once again have Midland WR-100 model SAME weather radios on sale for $29.99.

These are an excellent choice of weather radio for home or RV. They use a wall wart 12 vdc supply, so a trip to Radio Shack and you can make a 12 vdc outlet and power cable for continuous use in the RV.

I noted there were NO 12 vdc outlets in my 5th wheel, so I installed one just for the WX radio in the bedroom under the TV shelf.

And here's my well worn tornado tutorial just to get everybody brushed up on severe weather.

http://www.openroadsradio.net/forums...read.php?t=210

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

My Midland (do not know the model) went off last week to tell me that the tornado was already east of me (It formed east of me. moving east) it had earlier told me that conditions were "ripe" (My word). It also warned of high winds (45mph, wife was scared.. I don't get scared till 100, been there however) and this morning it was alerting me about flooding.. Yup, it's that time again.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

A good weather radio also helps you plan your day.

"Severe weather this afternoon" ... OK, cancel the fishing trip, take down the antenna, put away the lawn chairs, roll up the awning.

Tune into the local Skywarn net, plan to cook indoors and play rummy with Sweet Wife.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #4
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

That's a good price and a wise purchase. Walmart and Radio Shack still carry weather alert radios too.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
KF5BET

We just had two tornadoes touch down just west of us this past Saturday.
EF2 in Rayne, LA. Damage was about 3-5 miles long. Lots of damage to houses, businesses and the local high school.

We had just been to this town the night before for dinner. This is also the town where we hold our annual hamfest which is this upcoming weekend.

Severe weather is very devasting and can occur very quickly.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
w5olm

Galen, that was scarry weather wasn't it. It came through here earlier with no wind damage, but lots of heavy rain. We had been in Lafayette Friday at the RV center and came back through Rayne late in the evening.
Lee
W5OLM
w5olm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
One Country Boy

You guys are on the edge of "Tornado Alley" I think. Those are some scarey, quick appearing storms and unpredictable. We frequently get them here in the Florida Panhandle. We were under a "Tornado Watch" last weekend while you guys were getting all that bad wx out there. We never did get anything like you guys had. A little rain and some light winds. Most had disapated by the time that line of wx got here.

We keep a Wx Radio in the RV as well as one here at home. I think they are made by Midland and picked them up for about $25 each at WalMart. I think Wade had started a thread on the forum about these specific radios a couple of years back. Several of the local repeaters in our area have them connected to the repeaters to warn amateurs of severe weather. Good idea.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
KF5BET

Rayne is slowly getting back on their feet. The shelter has been closed and all of the people are now back home or with friends or relatives. The one loss was a tragedy and our prayers go out to the family.

This was probably the biggest tornado that has been this close to us in a very long while. Usually they are much smaller and only touch ground briefly. Severe weather is very scary but also very fascinating at the same time. It is amazing to me at the sheer energy that a storm can produce in such a short time span.

Our hamfest will be collecting money to give to the people of Rayne to help with the rebuilding. Hopefully we will have a good turn out and outpouring of generosity. If you are in the area please stop by we should have a good time and turn out. There will be several good forums as well as testing, dx checking.

You can see the schedule at www.w5ddl.org.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #9
w5olm

Galen
Things look like a turn for the better. I will be able to be at the hamfest afterall. Too late to pre-register, but will probably drive the motorhome down friday and spend the night at the RV park onsight. Hope to see you there. Are you taking your camper over to Rayne?
Later
Lee Manning W5OLM
w5olm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
KF5BET

Lee:

No, we are just driving in..Little too close for us to hook up. Look for us. We will be easy to spot, I will be the one with the two young ladies. The girls have bought a table for girls scout cookie selling!

What could be better...Gumbo and cookies
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
Old 03-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
KC1BUD

You Betcha, the local Skywarn Class is 3/31 this year.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

Attended SKYWARN certification training two days ago. I am really getting excited for storm season!
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote