Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Default CQ CQ CQ all ORR Net Members - K

Morning Gentlemen,

I thought I would start this thread for ORR Forum users that wish to participate (check-in). The thread to run similar to an informal net on the air. Signal reports, wx reports, etc... Just a brief comment or two to let others know we are still around and what's happening with each of us. Are you at the home QTH, on the road (and where) or getting ready to go to work (for those that still do, hi). Check in dailey, weekly, monthly or just whenever you can and as often as you can.

My name is Jim and I'm located in Wewahitchka, FL, where it is presently 27 degrees. Temps are expected to stay in the 40's today with 25 mph wind gusts. The RV is parked in the drive and no plans to move it currently.

Are there others ? CQ CQ the ORR Net - K

Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
w3zi

Morning Jim
Its 53 right now here near Homestead. Its expected to go down to 39 tonight. Just doing my morning reading and getting ready for work. Try to check the site a couple of times during the day. Heading over to Fort Myers Saturday to get some work done on the coach. Not many places here or many I would trust.
Mark
TS2000 / Yaesu 857D and a Tarheel Antenna
w3zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Radio
Administrator

w4ewa de ku4oj

r r r fb om wx is 18 deg and clear with a stiff breeze. too cold to put the dog out for the day. i beleive the winter would be much milder if i had not bought the new trailer. qth is at work. need coffee. how's dx? 73's -k-

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
AE5BI

47 here, FullTiming in the SF Bay area. I threw up a "short" long wire yesterday (it was all I had handy) and I can tune to 40M & 20M. I need to set up a schedule to be on as I have a couple of HAM buddies I left in Flagstaff that want to chat. When I figure something out you all are invited to chat and maybe we can trade some signal strengths. I'll get a better antenna set up when I can.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK
Default WX in Manchester, CT

WX here is about 22F and sunny. Getting colder tomorrow and a high of about 33F on Friday. Haven't been able to check the bands this morning, maybe this afternoon. Volunteer to build sets for the local theater group and now waiting for plumber to hook up some new sinks and a garbage disposal (new countertops installed yesterday). Maybe we'll be able to hook up on the air some day. I'll try to monitor/call on 7.230 and 14.260+/- this afternoon. I'll post here when I do.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
One Country Boy

Roger - roger - roger... de W4EWA

Copied all you guys 5 and 9... QRM free.

The high was 44 degrees here today, it's 39 right now and the sun has not set. That is severe winter weather for us. Actually where I'm located it's more like So. Alabama or So. Georgia. 53 is cool wx for Mark, W3ZI, down in Miami.

Thanks for the checkins and keep intouch. 73, Jim

de W4EWA - K

Old 02-05-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
aintgotnun
Admin. I guess..........

what's shakin y'all??

ok so I don't know yer lingo. get over it

heheheheheh

"brisk" 36 degrees this am for the scoot into work up to a beuty 69 for the scoot home

y'all have a good'n

A radio that is.

End jihad
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
jagco

Afternoon y'all.

WX here is sunny and 21. It's supposed to hit the 40's today and 50's tomorrow. Warm front coming through. I am home, on disability, and planning to full-time when DW retires. I haven't checked the airwaves yet today (other than 2m repeater), but plan to later on.

73-Jeff WØJPS
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
One Country Boy

Hi fellers, de W4EWA ...

Nice response, no QRM, QRN and no QSB here. Thought I would see what was shakin' before I hit the sack in a few minutes. The low temp was 18 degrees here last night (or early this morning). I think Radio had 16 in his report but that was later in the day yesterday. That's pretty cool for the Atlanta area too isn't it Wade ?

Greg it doesn't matter about the lingo, just jump right in. If necessary we can tutor you on the "Q signals" and stuff. Just glad to have you.

I feel like I'm working DX with Stephen out in the SF Bay area. I forget where all you guys are and the names escape me at times, so forgive me if I get 'em confused. I enjoy seeing the signatures with the QTH's and names in the signatures. It makes it easier on this OM.

The XYL and I got a little "cabin fever" today. We've been pretty much inside with the cold temps and wind blowing. We rode down to Mexico Beach (about 20 miles south) and looked around this afternoon. I took a few photos I may post later. I noticed the El Governor Campground had increased the number of sites and there was not a vacant slot in the park. Many of the folks from up north are staying here to get away from the winter weather. It was like a ghost town though, almost no traffic. The little community, located on the Gulf of Mexico, has really began to develope in the past 5 to 8 years. Highrise condos on both side of US 98 make you feel in places like you are in a tunnel. Most of them are unoccupied or for sale. It appeared that construction had ceased on several that were incomplete. The building boom is over and the economy has effected the developers. Some of us don't mind the developement slowing.

It's 28 (2322 hrs CT) now. The high today was 55.

Better call it a day. 73 all have a good night.

CQ CQ de W4EWA - K

Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
KC1BUD

16.2 here right now 70 miles north of Detroit, low yesterday was -20 . I sure hate global warming.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

OK Dan, what are you doing up at 02:14am? It's now 11:06 utc, 12 degrees and calm. May get up to 31 today and 47 by Sunday. We finally got our kitchen and bath counters done and the sinks all hooked back up in the QTH. Later we're going out to look for tile for the backsplash above the counter. So it's been a busy week so far. Saturday we have a club (w1brs) breakfast and then I'm helping with an Elmering class for the new hams in our Emcomm/CERT group. We try to hold Tech license classes about twice a year to keep the Ham ranks up and to encourage new hams to get involved in CERT/EmComm and our local repeater club - W1BRS.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
OK Dan, what are you doing up at 02:14am? It's now 11:06 utc, 12 degrees and calm. May get up to 31 today and 47 by Sunday. We finally got our kitchen and bath counters done and the sinks all hooked back up in the QTH. Later we're going out to look for tile for the backsplash above the counter. So it's been a busy week so far. Saturday we have a club (w1brs) breakfast and then I'm helping with an Elmering class for the new hams in our Emcomm/CERT group. We try to hold Tech license classes about twice a year to keep the Ham ranks up and to encourage new hams to get involved in CERT/EmComm and our local repeater club - W1BRS.
I can't help it Andy. I spent most of my life on second shift. Even though I am now retired, an old habit that I'm not likely to break anytime soon. I am glad to see that someone still elmers in this hobby.
Love to
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
AE5BI

I intend to get on Saturday evening and you are all welcome to join in if you can hear us. Just a reminder, my current location (the SF Bay Area) is NOT my mailing address on QRZ. I try to keep it up to date on our website.

We will give a listen and try 14.260 at 4PM PT but I was warned that this is a popular DX Freq. so if it is busy we'll move up or down a bit. At 6PM we give 7.230 a try.

2006 Jeep (X2)
- iCom IC-706MKIIG
- AH-4 Automatic Antenna Tuner to a 102" Radio Shack CB antenna

Guinness the cat

Full-timing Sep. 2006 - Sep. 2011

Our RV Website, www.FulltimeRV.us

AE5BI
AE5BI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:59 AM   #14
One Country Boy

It dropped about 4 more degrees after my post last night. The low was 24. I just went out and collected the mail and it feels pretty good. It's 57 degrees, sunshine and practically no wind. We're forecast to have a nice weekend. Southerly winds off the Gulf of Mexico are suppose to start and that is a sign of rain in the near future. The baromatric pressure has really been high here the past couple of days.

Wow, 16 degrees !! Dan was up sort of late wasn't he Andy. He was probably working some rare DX if his antenna wasn't frozen over. That's something to think about, frozen ice on the ant. I bet affects the SWR doesn't it ?

Stephen, I'm going to put that 20 and 40 meter sked in my cell phone to remind me. I'll try to be there. If it's OK, I'll cut and paste you proposed sked to the other thread concerning the skedules.

Wife is doing brunch, gotta run. 73 guys and C U L.

de Jim W4EWA

Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 AM   #15
KC1BUD

Tonight we are almost having a heat wave. It is 0145 local time and it is still 31.3 outside. were supposed to get a chance of rain tomorrow or Sunday.
Love to
Old 02-07-2009, 02:19 AM   #16
One Country Boy

Well it's my turn Dan... A little after 2 AM local time (Central) and I'm up. Couldn't sleep. The old back gives me some trouble and when it starts, I might as well get up.

Enjoyed the attempts at contacting Andy and Stephen today on HF. I did hear Andy several times very strong on 20 meters but the QSB was so fast, it did not last long when his signal was up. It was up and down very quickly. I thought I heard Stephen once but it was so light I could not be sure.

The temp here right now is 29 or 30 degrees, depending on which outside sensor you look at. Temps are suppose to get up into the high 60's later in the day on Saturday. Yes, that's correct just looking at KQ4YD's weather station about 15 miles south of me. He's got 30 degrees down there right now also.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #17
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Well it's my turn Dan... A little after 2 AM local time (Central) and I'm up. Couldn't sleep. The old back gives me some trouble and when it starts, I might as well get up.
I have, in my stick built, a select comfort and in my MH I have a 4 inch memory foam topper both allow me to sleep rather good with my bad back. My back is why I have been retired since 2003 at the age of 51. But the pain pills and two different types of muscle relaxers seem to help as well.

I always say that when we are 18 we are stupid. I originally hurt my back in Vietnam heavy lifting incorrectly. I never went on sick call and therefore never got my injury entered into my records. Or I would be drawing VA for my back as well as my diabetes. It caused me to retire only 2/3 of the way to a full retirement.
Love to
Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 AM   #18
One Country Boy

A photo or two I took down at Mexico Beach a couple of days ago. Charter boats in the Mexico Beach Canal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0023a.jpg (345.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #19
One Country Boy

This is the mouth of the canal where it opens into the Gulf of Mexico. A dredge at the mouth of the canal keeps the sand from the wave action pumped out. On this day there was no surf.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0009a.jpg (381.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
KC1BUD

Jim your a show off, If I were to take photos here all you would see is white and broken branches.

Although it is a blistering 55.4 today with a 12 mile wind.
Love to