Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
_L7

Default HF antenna for RVs

I have been playing with different antenna ideas for the MH for awhile. Nothing seems to work great, aside from putting a dipole up once you arrive at the campground. The dipole is usually not real easy and may not be feasible at some campgrounds.

I recently purchased a Zero Five 43' vertical (10-160) for my home QTH. It is the best vertical I have ever used. I am very happy with it.

The other day I was in QSO with a gentleman from Texas and the subject of RVing came up (yes, I suggested he join this forum). We discussed RVs and then RV antennas. While talking about antennas he mentioned that Tom from Zero Five antennas was making him a custom fold over vertical for his RV. I stated that there was nothing on his web site about mobile or RV antennas. The guy says that Tom is going to make this one custom and see how it works before trying to sell any.

I will be watching this closely because if the antenna is viable both in mounting and useage for an RV (and works as well as his vertical I have) then I will probably just have to get one!

I posted this since there has already been some discussion about RV antennas on this forum. The down side to this particular antenna as it was described to me is that it will have to be folded down while traveling (30+ feet long).

If anyone wants to take a look at the Zero Five website....here it is....

http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/

Ed
N6LZR
For everything else - WORK

Home - Yaesu FT847 / ID-800 / 80M Inv. V
Zero Five 43' HF vertical
Tower and Beams - Some Day
Local - 2m, 440, and 1.2 Rpts
Echolink - N6LZR-R (Linked to 1.2 Rpt )
IRLP - Coming soon
DStar Rpts - Coming soon
QSL via EQSL.cc

We need a fishing smiley, a beer drinking smiley, and an HT Smiley
_L7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

I have used an old beat up Butternut vertical with good results on my island hopping campains. I have thought about modifying one of those such that certain joints were held together with hose clamps. Then the antenna would break down into sections for transport and go back up quick, easy and still in tune. A little dab of "bulb grease" would make the sections come back apart easy.

Then there's my trusty 20m bazooka dipole. Wow. Works the world on 100 watts, the secret being when you are QTH'ed on a desireable island the DX will come to you!!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #3
w7wv

I was in the same boat as you at one time.
I wanted to use a 23' marine vertical with a tuner but it dawned on me that with that antenna fixed to my RV it could limit my parking as I would not be able to use it without the absence of trees.
Many campsites that we have had in the nearly 40 years of RVing that we have did have trees and having such an antenna was not an option in my opinion.
At one point I did have an EZ-UP tri-pod that I could move around and I had an Outbacker on it and then changed to hamsticks later.
That afforded me more mobility but then I had to set it up and take it down.
I also had to set radials out needless to say.
I also wandered about kids wandering in and around it in the campsite.
I am quite happy with my 102" whip mounted high up on my rig. It's fed by an AH-4 tuner and the FT-897D. It's out of the way except for travel. I do have to tie it down (or remove the whip) as it's mount is only 1' from the top of the rig. On the other hand it tunes 6-40 and I get good signal reports.
I can also had a length of wire to it with an alligator clip to tune more bands if I want to.
But as you well know as a ham you have to adapt.

Gook Luck
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #4
w6pea

I have my High Sierra Side kick set up for the RV.
When all else fails...Amateur Radio
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:30 PM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I"ve been looking for a good antenna for 80 (or 160) through 10 (or six) Thanks I'll look into zero-5
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #6
w7wv

Warning, it's a big thing!
I thought the shakesphere 23' marine whip was good sized!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
N7OQ

I have the Buddipole, works OK for me.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 AM   #8
Richard Stouffer

Ken, the wire on the whip can yield some pretty impressive results. I tried that over the weekend. I clipped about 60 feet of 16 gauge onto the whip on my Jeep and the results were very impressive. Had I more time, and if I hadn't broken my radio, I'm sure I could have made a pretty good contribution to my meager DX log.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Stouffer View Post
Ken, the wire on the whip can yield some pretty impressive results. I tried that over the weekend. I clipped about 60 feet of 16 gauge onto the whip on my Jeep and the results were very impressive. Had I more time, and if I hadn't broken my radio, I'm sure I could have made a pretty good contribution to my meager DX log.

At what speed did it fianally come off??
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
w7wv

Around 65 or so but it beat 3 Hondas and a Toyota to death before it went!
Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
Oldmax
Dale - N8SAC

Most campers around here use the Eagle one . 80 thru 10. http://www.w8afx.com/ Is built by a local ham . I have one that I use set up in back yard.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:14 PM   #12
fulltimers-47

Send a message via Yahoo to fulltimers-47

hiw5dva here retired navy to use the buddipole like 2 know how it works 4 u thank u rick([email protected] (here iam fulltimer-47)
fulltimers-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
One Country Boy

I've been using a couple of Ham Sticks mounted atop my rear ladder on our 5'er. I have them on a quick disconnect. Working 75 and 40 meters mostly. I've had satisfactory results. I'm taking along my old Hustler antenna this next trip. I'll use the adaptor so I can mount 3 of the loading coils at once. It will keep me from having to climb the ladder everytime I want to change bands. Better for my knees as well (staying off that ladder).

Have a great day all.

Jim

Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #14
Wa2yly

Hi
I just bought a 20 and 40 mtr hamstick.I have the 3/8 24 hustler ladder mount.
Checked swr with ant analyzer and cannot get swr below 3.1
Has anyone else had this problem with hamsticks.
Bob
Wa2yly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #15
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa2yly View Post
Hi
I just bought a 20 and 40 mtr hamstick.I have the 3/8 24 hustler ladder mount.
Checked swr with ant analyzer and cannot get swr below 3.1
Has anyone else had this problem with hamsticks.
Bob
I gave a hand full of them away if that helps.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #16
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I've been considering one of the KJ7U antennas, www.kj7u.com, for some time. Anyone have any experience with one on an RV?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #17
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
I've been considering one of the KJ7U antennas, www.kj7u.com, for some time. Anyone have any experience with one on an RV?
I have seen several auto tuners, the one I have in the truck is manual similar to setting the button on a car radio set the SWR with the radio or a meter press and hold the button it remembers the turn counter setting. They are OK but due to motor drift they may not produce flat SWR but fine for while driving. I have heard mixed revues for the auto tune ones they are out there for less than $200. I took my home made screw drive ground mount with me on a trip down south and I have found it to be a fair amount better than mounting it on my pole behind the camper above the roof. I don't think I would worry about 160 with a screw driver antenna it probably would make a better heater than an antenna.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
N3LYT

I have a home made rotating dipole that I can move the elements inside one another and be resonate on 10/12/15/and 17 this all fits on fiberglass poles up about 26'. Looks kind of silly on the back of my 17' camper but it sure works well. I also have a 40/80 meter dipole made from ladder that mounts to the poles but that really takes up a lot of real estate. If I,m some where that makes it a pain to assemble I stick the coax inside the sliding window on the truck and plug into my screw driver antenna.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #19
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

My concerns and thoughts.

First I drive a 37'7" Motor home, I suspect that if you folded the 43'er at the right point and mounted it at the right point you coudl have it full length and it would lie on the roof of the MH (in a cradle) when driving quite nicely.

That's the plus

Of course do it a bit different and you could detach say 20 feet and just fold 10 over.

Now the hard part.

RADIALS. 43' verticals need a good ground radial system.. You may have an issue there.

They also suck on 75/80/160
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
AC6CV

Ham sticks seem to work OK. Mounted on ladder mounts. I guess if I RVd full time I wouldn't be happy.
AC6CV is offline   Reply With Quote