Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 11-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default And we are thankful for...??

I ask this every year on Thanksgiving. What are we thankful for?
  • In spite of all the economic turmoil, our family has everything we need, and most of what we want.
  • I live in one of the few places where murderous armed thugs do not roam the streets, run what little goverment there is and inflict harm with malice on those not like them in every way.
  • My house will be filled with people who love me.
  • When it comes to worship, I do what I best believe God would have me to do and no one hassles me about it.
  • I have the right and means to defend myself and family but have never once had to.
  • There are tough young men scattered in far away places, that are pressing violence against those who would take these joys from me, and I think this year, after some thought, for them I am most thankful

The fact that son is graduating Georgia Tech as a Civil Engineer next month sort of pales in comparison, however thankful I am for that!

Oh wow! They're calling me to eat!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
One Country Boy

Default GivingThanks

Very good Wade. Ditto !!!

Good food family and friends. Plenty to be thankful for. We also have a new GrandBaby Boy to be thankful for. He came about 6 weeks early and doing fine. Was released from the hospital in time for Thanksgiving.

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

Attached Images
File Type: gif img34.gif (6.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Manual Garcia O'Kely

That it is over. Just one majorly stressful meal to me. I spent two hours doing dishes last night from one meal for 8 people. Gimmie a break.

I'm glad to see everyone and it was a good time, but it would have been just as good w/out two days of food prep, sorry.

I don't need a special day to be thankful or to remind me to be thankful.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Garcia O'Kely View Post
That it is over. Just one majorly stressful meal to me. I spent two hours doing dishes last night from one meal for 8 people. Gimmie a break.

I'm glad to see everyone and it was a good time, but it would have been just as good w/out two days of food prep, sorry.

I don't need a special day to be thankful or to remind me to be thankful.
The XYL and I say every year, after it's over, "we ain't doin' it at our house next year." But we always seem to. You are correct Manual, it is a lot of work, especially for the better-half, she starts like two days before the big day. But, it's been a tradition for many years in our families. I too did a lot of dishwashing and prep work. Jumped right in there, up to my elbows. Everyone seems to appreciate it though and that's what matters. We too fed 8 people.

We had turkey, dressing, jiblet gravy, potato salad, green beans, cranberry sauce, chicken and dumplings and sweet potato casarole. We didn't do any turnip greens this year, that's unusual. We would normally also have been shucking raw oysters outside, around a fire in the pit as well, but that didn't happen this year either.

Who knows, next year we may hook up the 5'er and have a sandwich on the road. Somehow does not sound as interesting though.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 AM   #5
N7OQ

I have a lot to be Thankful for but I too hate the stress of fighting the crowds at the grocery stores, spending 2 days getting ready for a dinner that is over in 15 minutes.

So we decided that next year we are going to go camping on Thanksgiving instead of the usual Dinner at home. If any of the family wants to join us all the better but a simple dinner and the great outdoors sounds much better than the rat race.

This post is what we are the most thankful for so this is what I'm most thankful for besides my family, health and job.

I have a friend who last year was diagnosed with a Blood cancer and a tumor that was spreading through out her body. It was so bad that all the Doctors told her she would not make it to Christmas. She saw doctors locally and at Hospitals like UC Davis and some where in Southern California all told her the same thing. She asked the Doctors if there were any treatments she could get to help and all said the cancer was to advanced to do anything now. She continued to work even though she was weak and could not keep down any food, she was getting weaker by the day. So a whole bunch of us started to pray for her, we had many families praying and many churches as well. Well today the cancer is in remission, she is healthy and can eat like normal and now is getting better every day, plus the Doctors are totally stumped. She is only 26 years old and has a lot of life in front of her, so this is what I'm thankful for.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
jagco

I am thankful, that 6-1/2 years ago, somebody we barely knew (from our church) offered to give me a kidney. All of my close friends and relatives got ruled out for one reason or another. I have a very healthy kidney now keeping me alive. So, among many other things, I am thankful for, that is the biggie.

We had 14 people in our little house, but had loads of fun. I have just spread the dishes out over a few days. I still have the roasting pan and a crock pot to go
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote