Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-02-2017, 07:21 AM   #21
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

At Hamvention I got an ALPHA.. this is a 17' all band antenna (80-10 I think)
Have tried on 80, and 40, not yet on 20-15-10 and found the SWR well within spec and the ability of the radio's auto-turner to zero out. (I think 2.5/1 was the highest I saw)

BUt it does not hear as well as my long wires I think.. Have yet to do "A/B" testing but that will be done in 2 weeks.. Loads nice though. Mine is tripod mounted.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:18 PM   #22
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
At Hamvention I got an ALPHA.. this is a 17' all band antenna (80-10 I think)
So does it break down for transport easy? How do you get down the road with it?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #23
L2C

I am looking at putting a mast in/on the RV that we buy. I would like to see how it mounts to the tripod.

Mike
L2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 AM   #24
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

For the last 12 years I have used an assortment of long wire type antennas.

The Transceiver is a Kenwood TS-2000. and on the back of the house fed with RG-8x is a Kenwood KAT-1 Auto Tuner (Marine grade version of the KAT-3)

I have a 1/2 inch copper pipe that runs the length of the RV. about 3" off the roof (Goat rail style) Not too happy with it.

I have a "Long wire" Currently 80' I can in some parks, toss over trees. Best antenna

I have a 50' Wire. it runs up a fishing pole at the back of the hosue then to a flag pole on the front. Current antenna Works fairly well and no problems with park rules so far

I have one of the new ALPHA dummy loads.. Am not happy. Feed it with 50' of LMR-400 (Very good coax) and still does not measure up to the 50' wire. close to the goat rail in effectivness.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:13 AM   #25
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
For the last 12 years I have used an assortment of long wire type antennas.

The Transceiver is a Kenwood TS-2000. and on the back of the house fed with RG-8x is a Kenwood KAT-1 Auto Tuner (Marine grade version of the KAT-3)

I have a 1/2 inch copper pipe that runs the length of the RV. about 3" off the roof (Goat rail style) Not too happy with it.

I have a "Long wire" Currently 80' I can in some parks, toss over trees. Best antenna

I have a 50' Wire. it runs up a fishing pole at the back of the hosue then to a flag pole on the front. Current antenna Works fairly well and no problems with park rules so far

I have one of the new ALPHA dummy loads.. Am not happy. Feed it with 50' of LMR-400 (Very good coax) and still does not measure up to the 50' wire. close to the goat rail in effectivness.
We tried a long wire on top of a train car thinking the roof might make a ground plane ended up with an Out Back stuck to the rear of the car worked much better.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #26
wa8yxm

Since getting this RV in 2005, and visiting Dayton in '06 I have used a Kenwood TS-2000 feeding a KAT-1 Tuner (marine grade version of the KAT-3) and from 50-100 feet of wire, usualy 14ga tossed over tree limbs and the like (I run it up a flagpole first.. A genuine flagpole. SUNSETTER telescoping 24')

The current wire is 50'. Run up a pole (not the Sunsetter) at the back of the rig and then over the top of the rig to the Sunsetter at the front (park on base).

The alternate long wire is currently 83' but I did not feel like tossing over trees just now.

I also have one of the "new" Alpha antennas mounted on the RV (At 17' it comes off when I drive)

KAT is fed with around 30' of RG-8x
Alpha 50' of LMR-500 (High quality RG-8 equivlent)

Alpha gives good SWR (Less than 2-1) on bands I work wihtout the tuner, 1/1 with.

Long wire also 1/1 with but higher 2 if I turn the KAT off.

Long wire is at least 2 S-units stronger than the Alpha on receive and stations that I can hear clearly can also hear me on the long wire, not so on the alpha.

So... I'm not impressed with the Alpha

HOWEVER that said.... Some places won't let me toss wires over trees.. and one campground I stay at......... NO TREES
Old 06-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Wa2yly

Hi
I just bought a 20 and 40 mtr hamstick.I have the 3/8 24 hustler ladder mount.
Checked swr with ant analyzer and cannot get swr below 3.1
Has anyone else had this problem with hamsticks.
Bob
Wa2yly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:24 PM   #28
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa2yly View Post
Hi
I just bought a 20 and 40 mtr hamstick.I have the 3/8 24 hustler ladder mount.
Checked swr with ant analyzer and cannot get swr below 3.1
Has anyone else had this problem with hamsticks.
Bob
I gave a hand full of them away if that helps.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote