Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm
Default Where is everyone

I know this board is not as busy as many of the others I visit. but ... Where did everyone go? Been quiet as a tomb here this last few days?
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
WD8QBQ

Here I am, I was hiding.

Really, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe everyone else is thawing out and finally getting out of the "cabin" and catching up with life on the outside.

Really nice and sunny here the last few days and starting to melt down.

he best temps are only in the 40s, but that's way better than it was.

Found out yesterday our official total accumulation of snow, to date is, 122.7".
I hope it's finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpSXqrziPM.jpg (151.6 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg phpqCso3kPM.jpg (160.0 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg php3pNQWbPM.jpg (186.0 KB, 96 views)
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

My new job runs me ragged. Fine way to be to busy and tired to play on the 'pooter.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
WD8QBQ

Money's important now days, more than ever. You got a way to get some be HAPPY!

JIM
Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
KB5LJE

Still around Moved back to Memphis, Set up shack, find new docs, start back on Chemo Monday.

we have been VERY busy but things are slowing down and will be back with more to say soon.

Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

You know...... Looking at the 1st reply it makes me glad I'm sitting here in Fair Play, SC posting this.. We have had TWO, count 'em TWO snow storms here so far this winter.. The first one it snowed on Friday, Melted on Saturday and I had no where to go till Sunday and the only snow I saw on the road was what fell off a car.

The other one was on a Tuesday, and by Wed night when I went to Choir practice.. Clear and dry again , That second one did cause me some very very minor grief as this is 2-way Satellite internet and the storm knocked me off line for a couple of hours.. (ON a trouble scale of 10 where 1 is not very much trouble and 10 is .. THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE.. this was around a 0.2)
Old 03-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
KF5BET

been working on the garage...got the walls up and yesterday put the door up. still have a little siding to do over the garage door and paint on the exterior and the outside will be done.

Once the exterior is done, then can move to the inside. New electrical, insulation and drywall.

All this to say that once the garage is finished and I get all of the stuff out of the storage room....the ham shack remodel can begin
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #8
One Country Boy

I'm also here. Sorry I've been a little quiet of late. Staying busy with different projects. Hopefully getting ready to go camping this coming week. Plans are to head up around Adel, GA and meet some friends. Take our time coming home and may make a couple of more stops after Adel. No specific plans once we leave there. Will try to get more active on the forum.

I too am glad (hopefully) that most of this cold weather has passed. I can't complain after seeing all that snow in the second post. It's just been very cold for our area, cloudy and wet. The lack of sunshine can certainly get depressing.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
KF5F

We are sitting on the beach in Pensacola (and have been for two months) and enjoying the warm weather. We will be heading down to Breaux Bridge ,LA after Easter to catch up with our Winnebago group. I guess then we will have to go home for a week before hitting the road again. Retirement is very busy!!

2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
2009 Saturn Vue Toad

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm.
George Orwell
KF5F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
wa8yxm

Well... I see that folks are now posting so I guess this thread has done it's work.

IT's so nice out today, when I hiked down to the office/store/lounge complex so I could get on-line.. I forgot my coat!!! (On purpose no less) my thermostatically controlled string of lights which I taped to my water hose to keep it from freezing.. NEVER came on last night.

I'm very happy... Hope it keeps up this way for a while.

Alas.. I go back to Michigan up in the great white north at the end of the month.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5F View Post
We are sitting on the beach in Pensacola (and have been for two months) and enjoying the warm weather. We will be heading down to Breaux Bridge ,LA after Easter to catch up with our Winnebago group. I guess then we will have to go home for a week before hitting the road again. Retirement is very busy!!
Hi Gene, you're not too far from my QTH. Do you have any HF gear with you ?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
K3NOQ/Mobile

Location: Full Time RV'er, anywhere USA, usually Canyon Lake Tx in winter, SoPark Co. CO. in summer
Default Beautiful Day in the Hill Country of Texas

Wx here today was "great!" Sunny and mid 70's. Continuing to Wax the MH before heading out to Colorado in May. Been watching and working some of the activity on 17 and 10, even heard some qso's on 12 last week.

73/John

2K Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Icom 7000 w/ Lil' Tarheel, Comet B250,6 Mtr Squalo
4wd Chevy Tracker w/FT7800 & TS-60
Fulltimer-Ret'd 2-Way & Brdcst tech.
APCO - OFWA - SKP's - MSP
K3NOQ/Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
wa8yxm

Well I've not yet waxed it (And won't today.. It is raining) but I did give it a bath and do some outdoor repair work (very minor) Got a bit more work to do later (Also minor) and then when the rain stops (next week) it's break out the RV-Solution and give it once-over #2
Old 03-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #14
WD8QBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well I've not yet waxed it (And won't today.. It is raining) but I did give it a bath and do some outdoor repair work (very minor) Got a bit more work to do later (Also minor) and then when the rain stops (next week) it's break out the RV-Solution and give it once-over #2
OK, wondering, what's RV-Solution???? is it

JIM
Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
KF5F

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
Hi Gene, you're not too far from my QTH. Do you have any HF gear with you ?
No, this is our first winter trip in this coach so we are still settling in. Will have it by next winter...

2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38T
2009 Saturn Vue Toad

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm.
George Orwell
KF5F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #16
W6ZKH
ex-K6YDW

Hello to all, and I too have been inactive here on the board. Mainly because this laptop where I have the board set to is being used 99.9% of the time for my Oscar Satellite tracking and CAT system to computer control the Yaesu FT847 I got recently, plus auto track my dual yagi's to chase them birdies across the skies. Just about the only mode I operate now, at least from home, but that is being put on hold now, as in the process of moving to a new QTH which isnt antenna friendly.. oh well...can always wander to the park with my HT and ELK yagi and wave at the birdies as they go by, hi.

Also, recently diagnoised with Prostrate Cancer, so having to go through all that right now also... At least it was caught early...........thanks to PSA tests even our "Dear Leader" BHO and his Czars dont seem to think you need to have it nor the xyl's their boobies checked... Will be going with the 'seeds' process it looks like.

Havent been anywhere lately with the 5er either. Big trip planned for June to Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore and all points around that area...

Have a good spring and summer...

John
2002 Dodge 3500 Diesel-Dually
2011 Forest River Wildcat 313 5th wheel
Icom IC-2800 Dual-bander in truck
Yaesu FT-1900R 2M Xcvr in RV
W6ZKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #17
wa8yxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WD8QBQ View Post
OK, wondering, what's RV-Solution???? is it

JIM

Alas, no, it's a wash & wax in one product like Dri Wash & Guard or any of a dozen "one step" wash/waxes from your friendly neighbor auto store.

There is a difference between the two products mentioned by name though, Dri Wash & Guard is a concentrate, you mix with water before you use it

Solution you use straight out of the bottle

Both work about the same,,, I like Dri Wash & Guard slightly better but do not have any just now and can't afford to buy any at the moment since I blew another tire on the car (Well, you are supposed to replace them in pairs) Did have enough left over to ALMOST fill the RV's fuel tank though,, that's nice.

Oh, in other news.. Last year when I de-winterized I found that the fall before when I winterized it appears I burned out the solenoid on the ice maker for the fridge (DANG) Local parts place wanted (hold on to your shorts) $140.00 for that part.> Camping world was over 120 (Last time I got one at CW it was 12.0, note the point) so finally I went on line.. The "Buy It Now" store had two different versions for fifteen bucks plus S&H, about 22.5 total.

The one I ordered was an Amana

Now,, there are really only 4 solenoids, (There are a couple of dozen different mounting brackets but only 4 solenoids)

Two are Single Stage and the other two have a second chamber, I suspect a pressure regulator so that if the line pressure changes they still make the same size cubes.. The AMANA is one of these (The OEM is not and let me ask, what type of fridge is most likely to encounter major changes in water pressure... Why an RV fridge of course)

The other "Times 2" is the inlet, it's either a quarter inch compression fitting or a 3/4" Garden hose, the Amana (AND the OEM) are both quarter inch

But even if it was not then the 3/4 inch type come with the necessary adapter already in the box.

Well,,, Had to change one bracket (Included with the solenoid) and re-drill one hole.

And now it makes ice

I have also made a couple of electrical changes so that last night when I was boondocking I push a button (Manually select GAS as power source for fridge) and then double tap a switch to feed Inverter power to it and it made ice all night!!!!!.

On this issue the word HAPPY!!! clearly applies.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
WD8QBQ

John, I don't use that fancy stuff for washing, just clean cold water and a soft brush, with a micro fiber towel dry after.

Hey, I have the feeling you like your ice

If my maker goes out I won't bother to fix it, never use it now.

JIM
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #19
WD8QBQ

Smile

Big news over here, finally sold the farm.

One step closer to full timing , well we will call it full timing probably part timing if you go by the book, still have a sticks vacation home that we will keep for awhile anyway.

This is all very exciting and now we have a definite time table to get down to business and "get moving" !

JIM
Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
Dizzy-Dick

I keep looking at this site daily and have seen no new posts. Guess I got to get the old keyboard out and at least acknowledge that there is still life out here (grin). Need to hit the road again, been awhile for us.

Been real nice here in Cut & Shoot, TX. 70's and a couple of days in the 80's, but a front is suppose to come in tomorrow and bring some rain and cold air.

73's
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote