Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
rockerbox

Default ...Another New Guy

I heard the CQ through the QRM and thought I'd answer the call. My name is Bill and have been a ham since '58 (novice). Upgraded to general in '63. Went to USAF pilot training in '61 and retired in '91 here in Alaska.

First "RV" was a two-door Studebaker Lark with separate tent (in PA). In '63 we got a VW Camper bus (Texas) followed in '67 and '70 with a couple of truck campers. Had a 29 foot Class A for 4 years, but made the drastic switch back to good old "back-packing" until yesterday. We now have a 22' '06 Winnie Chalet Class C on a Ford E350 chassis.

We are planning a road trip from Wasilla in a couple of weeks to the "Lower 48" to visit in-laws and "outlaws" in PA with stops along the way to check on old friends. I am installing two rigs for the trip: an HF station(706 with Tarheel II antenna) and a 2 meter rig.

One look under the hood of the E350 tells me I am going to have trouble routing cables into the cab. If any of you have any suggestions, please pass them along. I am not new to installing mobile rigs, but this 2006 engine compartment under the hood leaves little room for punching into the driver's position.

Happy to join the QSO and 73,

rockerbox is offline   Reply With Quote