Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

View Poll Results: Do You Twitter?
Yes--I'm Addicted 2 20.00%
Yes--Sometimes 1 10.00%
No--Not Interested 7 70.00%
No--Never Heard of It! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT
Default Do You Twitter?

Quote:
Twitter is a website, owned and operated by Twitter Inc., which offers a social networking and microblogging service, enabling its users to send and read other users' messages called tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 characters displayed on the user's profile page. Tweets are publicly visible by default, however senders can restrict message delivery to their friends list. Users may subscribe to other users' tweets—this is known as following and subscribers are known as followers.

--From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia--

I have been avoiding Twitter like it was the plague since I heard about it a few years ago. I just felt that it was nothing more than a fad that I didn't have time to learn about or time to commit to (I still don't FaceBook!). I signed up for Twitter about 2 weeks ago, and now I am hooked.

I have been able to network with hams from accross the country, keep up with current events, and participate in an EchoLink net comprised solely of hams who met on Twitter. When I finish this post, I am going to see if I can find RV enthusiatsts on Twitter. The best part is that it only takes a couple of minutes to view your Tweets since messages are limited to 140 characters!

So, do you Twitter? Why or why not? What is your Twitter handle?

You can follow me on Twitter @Chris_Seright
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Ok,
N1ORK on twitter.
Don't know how to retweet or the other stuff. What does the @ mean, or the #? Used it last about 6 months ago.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

My wife Terra, ke5zru, has been tweeting on Twitter much longer than me, so I have convinced her to register here at ORR to help me explain your questions Andy. The @ symbol indicates that you are addressing your tweet @ someone.

To send a tweet directly to me you would craft your message as follows:

@Chris_seright Howdy Chris

Remember your messages can be seen by all of your followers and can be retweeted by anyone.

Fridays are "Follow Fridays" and people suggest to their friends that they should follow other friends. The message looks like this:

#ff @ke5zru @Chris_seright @N1ORK

When your followers receive this message from you, they click on each user name and add the new users to their follow list. Before you know it, you have a group of followers with like-minded interests. Andy, this Friday I will recommend you to all of my Twitter Ham friends and you will pick up 40-50 new followers.
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
ke5zru
Rockin Hamette

Hello all.

Just a few notes for assistance with twitter...

I prefer to access my twitter on my phone, since all of the menu items, such as retweet and share, are all right there and easy to find.

The # is a hashtag. This is a trend that many are tweeting about. There are recurring hashtags, such as #FF which is "follow friday" and #TruthfulTuesday. There are also just simple silly hashtags that go around and people answer them...like #lessonsilearnedasachild. If I don't know what a particular hashtag means, I go to this site...
Hashtag Site

On the PC, retweeting can be done simply by mousing over a tweet. At the bottom of the tweet, your menu will appear...(favorite/retweet/reply)

Clicking on a handle will take you to that person's profile page, where you can send a direct message, block, or report a person for spam.

Also, just FYI, KE5ZRT should be blocked for spam (I've seen him eat it before with eggs)

Nice to meet you all!
ke5zru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 PM   #5
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

#hamradio & #hamr are both hashtags that indicate the post is of interest to amateur radio enthusiasts and help people follow your posts by subject matter

Old 12-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
KC1BUD

Don't tweet or facebook, no need. I've got all the social networking I need right close by. I like to call it family.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
echolink, twitter