Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Default Air Conditioner repair

I'm feeling smug today. When I bought my motor home (which has two air conditioners in the roof) in August 2011, the rear air conditioner turned out not to work. It would try to start, but (from the sounds) the compressor wasn't starting. The airmovers (fans) ran fine.

I was fairly sure I'd have to buy and install at least a whole replacement top unit, although the bottom unit (ceiling unit) seemed OK. But I conjectured that it might be the compressor start capacitor. So I ordered a new start capacitor, $20.40 with free shipping. If that didn't fix it, the loss would be small.

Today I installed the new capacitor. It took about an hour. The A/C works like new!

I'm feeling insufferably smug this evening.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
KF5BET

smug but coooool...

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together?

Great job!
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
W5DOK
Old Member

Bet 20 bucks, save 1500. Not a bad gamble.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W5DOK View Post
Bet 20 bucks, save 1500. Not a bad gamble.
Doc
Not bad at all; but I figure I saved about $600 to $800, which is the most I'd pay for a brand-new Coleman upper unit. Several suppliers have the uppers for about that much.

I saved $600 and a day or two of my own labor and that of a friend.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Some general info on Air Conditioners: IN many cases you can replace just the upper (ROOF) unit, Even if you have a discontinued model like the Carrier Air V (At least two companies, Advent and Coleman, make "Adapters" so their upper units fit a Carrier lower, Requirements, Ducted, and not a heat strip or heat pump unit)

Second, IF you have Carrier Air V. units.

Pop the top. near the compressor about 4-5 O'Colk positoin if you are standing behind it relative to the compressor, there are two tubes that run down and back up, Like a pllumbing trap.. My guess is these are to absorb vibration of the compressor without busting welds in the pipe.

The pipes touch each other at the bottom, as the compressor vibrates they rub against each other and eventually rub holes, which is damaging to the unit.

The fix: Spread 'em. (or glue 'em but spread is easier).

Bad workmanship in my opiinion but at 7 years old I can't easily hit up Carrier for the replacement cost..

If anyone else has this issue.. And wishes to start something.. Please let me know.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
TXiceman

And the bad part is Carrier dropped the RV product line....

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
I'm feeling smug today. When I bought my motor home (which has two air conditioners in the roof) in August 2011, the rear air conditioner turned out not to work. It would try to start, but (from the sounds) the compressor wasn't starting. The airmovers (fans) ran fine.

I was fairly sure I'd have to buy and install at least a whole replacement top unit, although the bottom unit (ceiling unit) seemed OK. But I conjectured that it might be the compressor start capacitor. So I ordered a new start capacitor, $20.40 with free shipping. If that didn't fix it, the loss would be small.

Today I installed the new capacitor. It took about an hour. The A/C works like new!

I'm feeling insufferably smug this evening.
I'm glad it worked for you. I had a problem like you describe only with a Craftsman 8 inch table saw. I too thought a start capacitor would solve it, and it was even cheaper, less than 10 bucks.
In my case it didn't help, so I decided to look for a working motor. I figured it would cost up to $50.00 for a working used motor. I found one and it cost me $50.00 and it also happened to have a 10 inch table saw with everything attached to it, also a Craftsman. So I guess it worked well for me too.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

That's about how I felt when I adjusted my own slide out room.

Cost nothing and took about an hour. Saved much hassle and several hundred bucks. There's an article on ORR.net about how I did it if you want to search for it.

Yeah....smug is good.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
TXiceman

I have spent since 1970 working with larger industrial refrigeration systems. Even when trying I have had to get involved with small A/C units. The RV units are pretty simple until you get to some of the special solid state thermostats that they are using. Some of the equipment installations can get pretty sorry and the vendors should fire the workers that do that kind of work.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote