Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
McKannick

Default Lookin' back

Howdy folks.
We've had campin' in our genes for many years now, starting with a VW Westfalia mini camper bus, several popups and lately a 21' TT. Now that we've got a 'big' rig, it seems the issue of rear view mirrors has come home to roost and peck me on the noggin'. I tow with a 2006 Toyota Tundra, and can fly nicely towing the 21' TT. BUT the thing is, the rear view is limited to just under what the 'law requires', IE seeing straight down the sides of the TT. I've tried several aftermarket mirrors that clip on or strap to the existing mirrors and the type that clamp onto the fenders. The ones that glom onto the existing mirrors are hardly any better that having them and the fender clamp jobs vibrate so bbbaaadddddllyy they are 98% useless.
Anyone have better luck with looking back?
McKannick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

How about a wireless (or wired) rear view camera with a wide angle lens? Like the ones in many cars nowdays. Seen some at W***mart that weren't too expensive. You can mount it at the back of the TT.
Good Luck!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #3
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
Howdy folks.
We've had campin' in our genes for many years now, starting with a VW Westfalia mini camper bus, several popups and lately a 21' TT. Now that we've got a 'big' rig, it seems the issue of rear view mirrors has come home to roost and peck me on the noggin'. I tow with a 2006 Toyota Tundra, and can fly nicely towing the 21' TT. BUT the thing is, the rear view is limited to just under what the 'law requires', IE seeing straight down the sides of the TT. I've tried several aftermarket mirrors that clip on or strap to the existing mirrors and the type that clamp onto the fenders. The ones that glom onto the existing mirrors are hardly any better that having them and the fender clamp jobs vibrate so bbbaaadddddllyy they are 98% useless.
Anyone have better luck with looking back?

With my 3/4 ton Chevy it is as simple as pushing a button and the mirrors extend out at least 6 to 10 more inches. Perhaps you could find aftermarket mirrors that will do the same. Or Buy A Chevy.
Love to
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKannick View Post
Howdy folks.
The ones that glom onto the existing mirrors are hardly any better that having them and the fender clamp jobs vibrate so bbbaaadddddllyy they are 98% useless.
I'm glad you said something, cause I'm not too thrilled with my strap on "eagle eye" (or some such, from camping world) and was just about to try some of the clip on flavor.

If you get after the strap ratchet with a box end wrench and tighten down the straps REALLY tight, then the bouncy vibration settles a bit. I now keep a 1/2" box end wrench in my door pocket to tinker with mirrors at any whim. The hard part is getting the blasted things adjusted on the first place. Thought about adding some convex spots to mine.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
McKannick

Default Various mirrors that don't work so hot with TT

I've tried these: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/25855 they don't vibrate much, but don't extend far enough out to make much difference.
Had these jokers from back when I had my Cherokee http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/21154 , same problem with the TT, not enough extension.
I saw those like yours http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...w-mirror/14887 and could see right away that without a 'tripod' type stance, they would be vibrating pretty bad.

Now, these last jokers I bought would barely fit the fenders on the Tundra, but had the 'tripod mount' idea so the base would be rock steady after they were clamped on http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...ID=142&CID=338 but then there was that little 'post' the mirror head mounted to that allowed the head to vibrate to the point of being useless. Additionally, the things located right in the blind spot of the windshield pillars on the drivers side and seemed so far away on the passenger side (plus the vibration) that usefulness was marginal. So, unless my Tundra morphs into a Chevy with neato automatic poke out mirrors I guess I'll just keep experimenting.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
McKannick

Default Might have a vibe fix for "radio"

Say, Bro, looking at the design of your " eagle " mirrors, they look pretty sturdy considering the lack of a 'tripod'. I was wondering if strapping the things to your truck mirrors with bungee cords to act as a brace / support, snugging the frame against your truck mirror. One of the concerns I had about that strap on type was what does it do to the weatherstrip against the window glass, all cranked down tight to minimize the vibration. Try that out on our trip to Tybee. Or sooner, if y'all go somewhere.

Andy, the wireless idea has crossed my mind, I already use one of those Wmart wireless jobs as a reversing camera on my Tundra, makes hooking up the TT a snap. Saves a lota creative language too, when my lovely assistant used to help guide the process.