Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default UHF/VHF on the road

Want to know the repeaters near you or where you are headed, here is a map that will give you the location and frequency. Just enter the town/city and hit enter and it will bring up all the info on the repeaters in the area. Or, click on "menu" and search a route to get all the repeaters on your way.
http://k5ehx.net
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:55 AM   #2
W7JZE
RV in 2016

Great map!

Thank you.

Bill - W7JZE
"Dar" - XYL
(And our little Bichon Frisé "Sparkle")
W7JZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
Mr. Ham

Not all repeaters are coordinated - hence not all repeater frequencies and owners are represented by internet web sites.
In my area, one man put his repeater on a frequency not being used, but did not coordinate it - because anyone in the right place will not only bring up his repeater, but two other repeaters 70 miles away..
Since the repeater council says no repeaters less than 120 miles apart, unless the other repeater owners are willing to sign off on interference complaints - it could never be coordinated.

Another - a UHF repeater, the repeater builder chose an active frequency in Ohio, chose a illogical PL - not the PL recommended by the repeater council and put it on a county tower, along with two more repeaters - unpublished on the 911 tower.
This is so - if there is an emergency, the county does not have to ask anyone for permission to use their repeater, and because if it is not published, no one will know it is there or use it on a frequent basis.

Local UHf repeaters can be as close as 60 mi apart and not interfere with each other, as long as you restrict antenna height and gain.
Mr. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #4
N3LYT

I don't know where you live but that would be unacceptable on any Mt. around here. They get real testy about that and it is not good armature practice. Pretty much any PL is fine except a harmonic of 60HZ. Where there are P.S .stations on a tower the ham stations are there only after all arrangements for intermod have been satisfied. We get a letter from the coordinator every year as to the status of our station. That of course does not mean it's published that's up to whom ever publishes the list.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
W9CMG

If you want to know what repeaters are near you, there is RepeaterBook app for your smart phone. Or, if you have a Garmin Nuvi, you can use the ARRL's TravelPlus Mobile GPS software.
W9CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I have the Repeater Book app on my cell phone.. It finally found ONE that I can hit and explained why i can't hit 2 more from my car (NO CTSS in car with current radio, I need to fix my other radio)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
W5DOK
Old Member

I usually program all the repeaters for my trip before I leave home. This map may make it a bit easier.
Thanks, Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Repeater Book (on my Android) found some of the repeaters the map found, But.

The map (When you chose the list function) does not show CTSS tones.. (i think it does if you click on the repeater) where as Repeater books does. Between the two I found one repeater I can access w/o CTSS near me and I can hit it from the car or the motor home.. (In the motor home I have CTSS)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote